V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The intention of the compensator is to smooth out the rough pulses that the engine creates under certain load situations (think about when you lug the engine and it bucks back and forth) and prevent them from being transmitted through the drivetrain. The ramps are the same shape front and back so it will work equally under both acceleration and decelleration too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you don't dampin the shock pulses (not to be confused with harmonic vibration) from the crank.You will tear up the clutch,trans and everything in back of the crank.H.D's are the worst because of the odd fire crank.Just about all bikes and cars have some sort of damper in the drive train.If you do not have a damper all the forces go directly to all the components between the crank and the rubber on the road and will find the week link. A lot metric bikes have rubber doughnuts in the rear wheel assy. Many of the older factory road racers had no dampers.crank,clutch or rear wheel and you could expect to replace the trans gears once a year.The H.D. unit is made to allow a lot more movement than a inline 4 Due to the oddfire crank.Sometimes the discs will loosen up in the outer hat and start to rattle.You can see were the factory peens the hat over the disc,I have been able to repeen (I don't know if that is a word or not) them and fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
same al taylor that had a shop in crestview?

howdy from dennis. i ran cripple creek and me and the wife spent half a day with ya. hows everything since the move?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The panheads had them and even though there was no electric start they would still kick back pretty good if you didnt retard the ignition. Cant imagine it being worse without one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts