V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Installation of parts!!! Someone else touch my bike!
:hystria:
...ya scroll over the word 'biike' on Jerry's post and a pop up for Yamaha appears...
...you trade your HD in on a Yammie there, Jer?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
...ya scroll over the word 'biike' on Jerry's post and a pop up for Yamaha appears...
...you trade your HD in on a Yammie there, Jer?
That's gonna leave a mark...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I never heard of Pure Hell. I heard that Hardcore Choppers has gone under as well as Mark Long. Just last week I was riding down 606 and looked like it was gone.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Hardcore on Underwood Lane was still open yesterday. Mark Lowenberg, the former manager from Mark Long on Quicksilver Drive was moving to Hardcore Choppers. Their web site had a flyer for an open house yesterday:
http://www.hardcorechoppers.com/

·
Registered
433 Posts
A buddy of mine sent me an email that he got from DC Cruisers.

After 5 years serving our customers, we are sad to announce that we are
closing our doors for the last time on Saturday, April 12. Fortunately,
our loss is your gain, because...

DC Cruisers is having a FINAL BLOWOUT LIQUIDATION SALE on Friday and
Saturday...

Come get a great deal on ALL motorcycles, many below our cost!! Great
brands, such as Big Dog, Cenzi, Bourget, and American Ironhorse!

Also, we will be selling all office furniture, clothes, parts, and
accessories. No reasonable offer will be refused.

See you Friday and Saturday from 10am-5pm!!!
Our address is 7520 Lindbergh Drive, Gaithersburg MD 20879

Thank you for your loyalty and good luck!

The chopper fad is gone and those sales have gone south. I guess if you are interested in one of those bikes this would be a good time to buy a new or used one.

·
Woo Hoo!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know this is a pretty old thread but I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with Pure Hell for general service, installation of parts, etc. I live about....well, less than a minute from here. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well their cheesy website is still up. I never went up there, last indys I used were John Scalia in Fairfax (next door to Fairfax Cycles) and Devil Dawg Customs in Chantilly. Sounds like we're neighbors, Euclid is a 1/2 mile from my house.
jd

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Well their cheesy website is still up. I never went up there, last indys I used were John Scalia in Fairfax (next door to Fairfax Cycles) and Devil Dawg Customs in Chantilly. Sounds like we're neighbors, Euclid is a 1/2 mile from my house.
jd
I will only say that one of the above indys has a very questionable reputation in this area...PM me if you're interested...one of the best indy shops in this area is Custom Cycle Accessories in Springfield Va, they've been in business over 30 years...

·
Woo Hoo!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I will only say that one of the above indys has a very questionable reputation in this area...PM me if you're interested...one of the best indy shops in this area is Custom Cycle Accessories in Springfield Va, they've been in business over 30 years...

Sent ya a PM.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Pure Hell

I"ve been using Pure Hell for several years now. The only shop I'll take my bike for those things I can't do myself. IMHO they are by far the most reliable shop in the area. The owner (John) is capable of everything from full fabrication custom builds to more routine aftermarket performance modifications. I highly recommend them.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these two shops off Euclid? I live about a minute from either one. It would be nice to have a shop that close - but I want to make sure they do good work. I'm just looking for repair/installation, etc.
Threads merged:spank:

·
I love BIG headlights...
386 Posts
Just an update

I have known the owner John Helvey of Pure Hell since they opened, he did a lot of work for me in the past. Then for health reasons I was not on the bike very much for a while. I stopped by to see John and his Mom this week to set up a dyno tune. The shop has better than doubled in size since I was last there and he has one of the nicest dyno rooms I have ever seen, and I have seen a few. He has a SuperFlow eddy current dyno, about as good as it gets. He is very knowledgeable on tuning and will not do a tune for you in an hour. He wants to keep the bike a couple of days and mostly tunes at night with the door locked so he isn't disturbed.

John is a true bike builder, the likes of Jesse James, he fabrictaes the tank fenders and frame by hand from sheet metal and tubes. He is not a bike assembler who buys a bunch of pre-fab parts from a catalog and bolts it together. The prices are not cheap but you get what you pay for. John is a perfectionist. I would highly reccomend Pure Hell but be prepared quailty does not come cheap.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
. I stopped by to see John and his Mom this week to set up a dyno tune. The shop has better than doubled in size since I was last there and he has one of the nicest dyno rooms I have ever seen, and I have seen a few. He has a SuperFlow eddy current dyno, about as good as it gets. He is very knowledgeable on tuning and will not do a tune for you in an hour. He wants to keep the bike a couple of days and mostly tunes at night with the door locked so he isn't disturbed.
How did your tune come out? I'm thinking of going out there next week to get one done but, I'm still lookong at other shops, Another shop in Chantilly did my first build tune and I wasn't very happy with it so at least I know of one I won't go to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would recommend avoiding them. My initial experience with them was wonderful. I spent between $4,000 and $6,000 on getting my engine rebuilt and getting my 2001 Electra-Glide up to speed. After all the work was done, they did a detail wash and the bike seemed to run great. However, after that things went downhill.

Winter closed in shortly after I got the engine rebuilt, so I wasn't able to finish the 500-mile break-in on the rebuild until the next spring. The original work-order specifically said that the follow-up service was part of the original rebuild. However, when I brought the bike back in after 500 miles, the receptionist (Lynn) double-charged me for the follow-up services on the engine rebuild. When I tried to point out that this was covered as part of the original work, she got really nasty about it, and insisted that I pay. John, the owner, seemed very competent and very honest, so I assumed that I must have remembered the deal wrong.

A year later, the bike started stalling out in traffic. After a lot of diagnostics and money, It turned out to be a problem with the engine controller. The solution was a simple reset of the controller. John, the owner, said that this was common with the old controllers. I asked him about a permanent solution. He said that replacing the controller wasn't a cost-effective option and the only other option was to remove the EFI and replace it with a carburetor.

However, this time, if they had cleaned the bike, after working on it, the only evidence was some type of sticky goop that was stuck on the back of the bike, which John blamed on a neighboring shop. The controller reset worked well and the bike ran great, for that riding season. Also, they had a new receptionist who had excellent customer service skills. When I asked her to pull up and review the old charges, she agreed that I should not have been charged for the follow-up service and she agreed to apply the charges the next time that I had the bike in for service.

This spring, once again, the first time out, the bike killed, right in the middle of rush hour traffic. I called up to schedule a time when they could reset the controller. Unfortunately, the new receptionist was gone and I was stuck working through Lynn. When she called me back, she claimed that John had refused to work on the bike unless I was willing to rebuild it with a carburetor. Then she suggested that I sell the bike (presumably to some other poor sucker).

So, I started to ask her to refund the money that was still outstanding on my account. To which she responded that since nothing they did ever seemed to please me, that I should take my business elsewhere and she just hung-up on me.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
I would recommend avoiding them. My initial experience with them was wonderful. I spent between $4,000 and $6,000 on getting my engine rebuilt and getting my 2001 Electra-Glide up to speed. After all the work was done, they did a detail wash and the bike seemed to run great. However, after that things went downhill.

Winter closed in shortly after I got the engine rebuilt, so I wasn't able to finish the 500-mile break-in on the rebuild until the next spring. The original work-order specifically said that the follow-up service was part of the original rebuild. However, when I brought the bike back in after 500 miles, the receptionist (Lynn) double-charged me for the follow-up services on the engine rebuild. When I tried to point out that this was covered as part of the original work, she got really nasty about it, and insisted that I pay. John, the owner, seemed very competent and very honest, so I assumed that I must have remembered the deal wrong.

A year later, the bike started stalling out in traffic. After a lot of diagnostics and money, It turned out to be a problem with the engine controller. The solution was a simple reset of the controller. John, the owner, said that this was common with the old controllers. I asked him about a permanent solution. He said that replacing the controller wasn't a cost-effective option and the only other option was to remove the EFI and replace it with a carburetor.

However, this time, if they had cleaned the bike, after working on it, the only evidence was some type of sticky goop that was stuck on the back of the bike, which John blamed on a neighboring shop. The controller reset worked well and the bike ran great, for that riding season. Also, they had a new receptionist who had excellent customer service skills. When I asked her to pull up and review the old charges, she agreed that I should not have been charged for the follow-up service and she agreed to apply the charges the next time that I had the bike in for service.

This spring, once again, the first time out, the bike killed, right in the middle of rush hour traffic. I called up to schedule a time when they could reset the controller. Unfortunately, the new receptionist was gone and I was stuck working through Lynn. When she called me back, she claimed that John had refused to work on the bike unless I was willing to rebuild it with a carburetor. Then she suggested that I sell the bike (presumably to some other poor sucker).

So, I started to ask her to refund the money that was still outstanding on my account. To which she responded that since nothing they did ever seemed to please me, that I should take my business elsewhere and she just hung-up on me.
Just thinking this is your second post in responce to an old thread. :thumbsdn:
Will you be back I wonder? or will this be the only post. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with them. Myself, some of my friends and some other members of this board have used Pure Hell and I'm not aware of any of them having the type of experience you are describing. Hearing only one side of the story and dredging up a thread almost seven years old leads me to believe we aren't getting the whole story. I hope things work out for you.

Just thinking this is your second post in responce to an old thread.
And only five minutes after his first introduction post.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with them. Myself, some of my friends and some other members of this board have used Pure Hell and I'm not aware of any of them having the type of experience you are describing. Hearing only one side of the story and dredging up a thread almost seven years old leads me to believe we aren't getting the whole story. I hope things work out for you.

Just thinking this is your second post in responce to an old thread.
And only five minutes after his first introduction post.
That's seems to be how it works and I've pointed that out before and made some of the people here very upset. Oh well.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts