V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I know which bike I'm going to purchase, with the help of many on this forum...thank you, I found what I think is an excellent deal. Just wanted to check with you guys first.

2004 XL1200R with 18,000 miles for $5990.00 << should I or shouldn't I? The photo's look great. It was garage kept and well maintained according to the seller.
Should the tires have been replaced with that kind of mileage? What else should I look at for wear or replacing with that kind of miles?

My other option with the $$.$$ I have to spend is a new 883. Everyone I talk to tells me to definetly go with a 1200

BTW This is not my first bike. I have 15 years on various bikes.. GSXR1100, FJ1200, VFR750, and currently own an 02 Vrod and an Intruder 800 commuter which is what is being replaced with the Sportster.

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's a good buy.

If you are looking for a bigger bike, I'm selling my FXR in your price range. Evo, 5 speed, rubber mount...

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Sounds like a good price as long as it has been maintained...like you said. The tires should have been replaced with that mileage. Ask him to provide reciepts for parts and/or labor to show proof of maintenance. It would probably be a good idea to have a professional mechanic look at it as well. Buying a used bike...like buying a used car...is a crap shoot. The bike can look good and sound good and still have a lot of hidden problems.

·
Registered
454 Posts
deal

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'd echo your friends' recommendation and say to go for the 1200. Not a thing wrong with the 883, but given the list of bikes you've had I think you'll appreciate the additional power of the 1200. With 18,000 miles, the bike should be on it's second or third set of tires by now.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by yorgo
2004 XL1200R with 18,000 miles for $5990.00
At least the person who owned it rode the damn thing! I can't tell you how many earlier model bikes I see on the showroom floor with paltry miles on the odometer. I can only echo the comments of the earlier posters about the tires and proof of maintenance. If everything checks out, that seems like a pretty good price.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stopped by to drop a deposit and check it out finally

Well I finally got to see the bike yesterday. They did not allow test drives but did fire up the engine and got a good overview of the 1200R. Generally its in very good shape but needs to be cleaned up a bit.

When the sales guy fired up the engine I was a bit concerned. The engine took several attempts to start. It started once the choke was yanked but it was not a cold day by any means. It was around 80f. I'm used to starting my Intruder at 530am when its around 57f and it never needs choking. Fires right up.

Anyhow, once it warmed up and the choke was closed the engine rumbled down and vibrated so much it looked like the engine was about to jump out of the frame. the front wheel shook violently as I watched in horror. What am I getting myself into? Without being able to test drive the thing I'm concerned about going from my reliable Intruder to a Sportster that looks like it may have problems. I'm probably just not used to how Air cooled Harleys idle. My v-rod is extremely smooth in comparison. Either way I left a deposit and was told the bike would be ready, cleaned, and polished by Saturday.

I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
It is a rubber mounted motor and will shake pretty good at idle. Smooth out
a bit when wrmed up but still shake. Should be pretty smooth when riding.
04's have a 2 year warranty. Ask them if there is any left.
Given the other bikes you've had, definitley go with the 1200.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
yorgo said:
Anyhow, once it warmed up and the choke was closed the engine rumbled down and vibrated so much it looked like the engine was about to jump out of the frame. the front wheel shook violently as I watched in horror.
I can't wait.
HaHa...i'd be worried if it didn't shake violently. All rubber mounted engines shake at idle. As for starting and choking...first stop comparing it to your Intruder...completely different bike. Once you get the bike you'll experiment with it and see what the bike likes as far as choke (enrichener) on initial starts. Every bike is different. On my Heritage, i have to pull the enrichener (not choke any more) all the way out and give it a couple of squirts with the throttle...fires right up every time. If don't do these things then it's harder to get started.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But doesn't all that shaking wear down the rubber mounts? I'll be shocked if the mounts don't break apart after a few years. I mean, that engine looked like a Home Depot paint mixer. I'm sure it smooths out while driving but in traffic i'm gonna feel like I'm on a 1200cc vibrator. I'm gonna need gallons of lock-tight to keep parts from falling off.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Have you considered new. Dealer in Ottawa, Ohio has $500 below MSRP and free freight and set up. I beleive they have a 1200R on showroom floor when I was there Tuesday. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by yorgo
When the sales guy fired up the engine I was a bit concerned. The engine took several attempts to start. It started once the choke was yanked but it was not a cold day by any means. It was around 80f. I'm used to starting my Intruder at 530am when its around 57f and it never needs choking. Fires right up.
As miles to go noted, I wouldn't compare the Sporty to your Intruder. I always have to choke (enrichen) my Sporty to make it fire up when the engine is cold — less choke when it's warm outside than when it's cold, but I always have to choke it. As for the vibration at idle wearing down the rubber mounts, I've never heard a case of that, but Sportsters have only had rubber-mounted engines since 2004.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
yorgo said:
But doesn't all that shaking wear down the rubber mounts? I'll be shocked if the mounts don't break apart after a few years. I mean, that engine looked like a Home Depot paint mixer. I'm sure it smooths out while driving but in traffic i'm gonna feel like I'm on a 1200cc vibrator. I'm gonna need gallons of lock-tight to keep parts from falling off.
Parts falling off is precisely why they went to rubber mount.
My 85 FXWG is solid mounted. Guess what shakes?
Believe me, you want the rubber mounts. I've not ever heard of the mounts breaking, but I'm sure there might be some here who have. Replacing a mount shouldn't be that hard, anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're worried about buying a Harley because it vibrates, then why buy one? That's what they do...especially the 1200. Mine shakes like hell until it's warm and often takes several tries to start. Then I go for a ride on the funnest thing on two wheels. You're buying a GTO, not a Coupe DeVille.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer called to say it is ready to ride. I can pick it up anytime now but can't get a ride there until tomorrow. Come on Saturday! Oh damn I have to work in the morning. I can't wait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts