V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I'm new to these forums, and new to biking in general. I'm looking to purchase a Harley Davidson soon, but I wanted to ask for some purchasing advice.

I'm 6'9" (250lbs), and I was wondering your opinions on which HD would be best suited for me. A friend mentioned getting forward controls, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford many accessories or modifications right away after buying the bike. I'm hoping to find a stock bike that I can ride until I can afford to modify it.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome. And thanks in advance!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wellcome Cactus.
Your name sounds like that movie with Kirk Douglas and Arnie any connection?

I'm am 6'4" and my FXST is just about borde line in terms of comfort.
I have just ordered 3" extensions for the controls.
Maybe you should check out the V-Rod, it sure looks like a long bike.

Good luck!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cactus, I'm 6'2" 210 lbs. and ride a V-Rod. It sits low and long, I wouldnt want to be much taller riding it. The sad thing is, nobody really builds stock bikes to suit guys your size. I knew a guy about 10 years ago that was 6' 8" and rode a stock dresser. To me, he looked too tall for the bike, and that is a big bike. When he sat on it his head looked like it was about 2 foot above the height of the windshield, LoL. Plus his arms were pulled way back and he sat in straight up position, kinda like that Whee, I'm riding a bike position.

It all depends on what you want though dude. Are you planning on doing a lot of long distance riding ? Cruising around town or bar hopping ? Ultra's and e-glides are the biggest bikes Harley makes plus they are the best distance bikes. On the other hand, if you just want to look good for the girlies while hopping around town then I highly recommend a chopper. :eek:

Hold on now, before the rest of you guys start saying " Shut the hell up Fugly" , hear me out. With the right bike, you could be sitting low in the saddle, extended forward controls to stretch your legs out in front of you, drag bars to stretch out your arms, and a mile high front end to compensate for the height. Money would be the biggest object in buying or building a bike such as this to perfectly suit your height and size.

However, having said all this sh*t, I guess the most important part of all is what kind of bike are you going to have fun with. Cause believe me, that's what it's all about. Whether fun to you is riding coast to coast in comfort, pulling up to that party and having girlies asking you for rides, or pulling up somewhere and having people say " Whoa, here comes that big mean Cactus dude on that badass bike."

It's all about whatever trips your trigger. Ok, lecture over.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I second Fugly. Pick the bike that fits your intended use. Then modify it to your size. Even though money is the issue, get what is needed first.(Forward controls, handle bars, etc.) As was stated, there isn't anything really built out there that fits someone your size. You'll probably have to customize, but that's all part of purchasing a Harley. The Touring class would be a smart start, but may be difficult sense you are just starting out riding. I wouldn't suggest a sportster, though. You'd look like a gorilla on a tricycle. Sorry, had to say it. Cuz........damn, yousa big mudderfu(ker!
Good luck, though. Keep us posted as to what you do.
P.S. Also, consider renting to see what works or is the most comfortable. It'll give you more info. to help decide what you want.
Peace, J.T.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
6'9", WOW.

I wonder if you shouldn't consider the Shaq approach and get a custom bike built. Obviously, you need a custom frame. I'd be that you could put something reasonble together for $20-25K. I think you'd be happier in the long run with a bike that "fits".

Just my $0.02.

wyodude

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you get a chance to visit a Harley Stealer try sitting on a Softail Standard or a Dyna Wide Glide, I think these are going to be your best bet and then you can work with extensions from there. If, and I do mean "IF", you run into a good sales person they will help you find a solution. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree with cox9000, get to the dealerships and sit on as many as possible, you'll know it when you hit the right one. I have the opposite problem, too short. I tried a roadking and could barely reach the ground that was with my chunky soled boots on.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
CactusJak said:

I'm 6'9" (250lbs),

Ok, first things first. Son you need to get yourself a mess of Beef and Potatos and slap a little weight on ya.

Get yourself to 275 lbs and you will do just fine on a RoadKing.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
There ya go then, take some Meat and Potatos away from Bill! Y'all can work together on this. LOL!

·
Registered
306 Posts
wyodude beat me to it....
I was gonna say, whats up Shaq? A custom is not a bad idea. You can get a stretched frame that will fit you perfect.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hmm, what kinda bike does a 6'9", 250lb dude ride? Any kind he wants! But seriously, I feel your pain CactusJak. I'm 6'6" and have rode just about every Harley model (even Sportsters) there is. You definitely want forward controls so you can stretch out. That rules out touring bikes unless you want to do a costly retrofit with forward controls or put mini apes on it so your knees aren't touching your arms (well, they may not actually touch but it will be close).

That leaves Softails and Dynas. All the Softail models with forward controls don't give you as much legroom as a Dyna Wide Glide. You can get extended forward controls for both models but you will still end up with less legroom on a Softail unless you get even longer custom-made controls.

By all means, do as the others have suggested and hit the showroom to "try on" the bikes. I ended up with the FXDWG by default since it had the most legroom.

Kuryakyn offers extenders for forward controls and at one time offered a complete forward control assembly for the FXDWG (p/n 9064).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Damn Im batting 1000... go to the bikes on the top of the page and you'll find it there.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I've got the Corbin Dual touring saddle on my fat boy. the rear perch is nice and wide and comfy. Maybe he should get a softail with a nice wide passenger seat and sit back there?

Seriously though, i'd try the duece and softail standard. Most people complain the reach is too long so it should fit a tall guy well. There may be no choice other than ettended forward controls. Used bikes are coming down in price and there are plenty nice low mileage late model garage queens out there. Get a 2000 standard or night train and extend the foot controls.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I agree. What about a Night Train? Aren't they one of the longest bikes? ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm telling you guys, my last bike was a Nighttrain and somebody 6'9" is not gonna be comfortable on the bike. In fact, a 6'9" dude is not gonna feel or look right on any STOCK Harley.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Other than a custom made machine, which would be the best option, I would consider trying a crotch rocker. If its a harley you want, you should sit on the Buell and see how that feels. I think these bikes are just naturally better suited for taller guys.

Also check out the Suzuki 600, at only $6,000 it's hard to go wrong.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts