V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen headlights that look like they are pulsating or have a stobe built into them. Seems like a good attention getter for safty reasons. How many times have you heard about a car pulling in front of a biker because they were not seen. How or where do you get this.

Quickster

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
I installed a SDC (Signal Dynamics Corporation) Diamond Star headlight modulator when I had the Trike built in early 2004. I run it all the time (it automatically turns off at night). Since I installed the new H-D headlight, I have the high beam lights on all the time (the low beam just does not turn on fast enough, and you get almost no light output out of the low beam). Just about once every trip, some body in a cage will pull over and let me pass, because I think they assume I am a LEO!

As I understand the Federal law, the modulators on motorcycles are legal, thus no state or municipality can pass a law prohibiting their use. I got some bad looks from some police officers down at Bike Week, but nobody stopped me.

I think they are terrific and make you that much more visible.

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip on modulating lights.

Whats involved in installing and cost. Do they cause early failure of the bulb.

quickster

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Hell, people pull out in front of trains. Look at their light and their 152db K5LA horn. All I can say is ride with caution at all times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Modulator & relay

It took me about 2 hours to install on my 02 Fatboy. I went with the modulater & the relay. (I had heard that the HD wiring is not the best). It is a plug in install. Got both for under a 100 bucks.

Reports I read shows on effect on blub life. I really like that fact that durning dusk it continues to pulse. Seems to me that is the time people in cages don't see a bike.

here is the linkhttp://www.comagination.com/default.htm

If you need help let me know

BadGumby

·
Registered
182 Posts
My wife and I both have modulators on our bikes. Combined we have over 100000 miles with modulator use and they dont seem to have any effect on bulb life since I have had to only change one. They do make a big difference in cars seeing you.
If you look on line you will find directions on how to build your own modulator. That is exactly what I did. They cost me about ten dollars and a couple hours to make. All parts are at Radio Shack. As I said I have 100000 miles on them and never a problem.
As far as installing them on your bike, there is only one wire (high beam positive) you have to tap into. Thats it. Dan

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
You can get 'em on eBay for $50, or from J.C. Whitney & Co. for $25.00.
I think that at any cost they're worthwhile, if they prevent you from gettin' hit.

Wes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts