V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice...

I'm getting ready to pull the trans Inner Bearing race to install a BDL drive. Is there a "special" puller required, or will a standard bearing / wheel puller work?

MOCO FSM lists a puller tool number, but the diagraming looks like a sandard bearing / gear / wheel puller. (I've got one of those....LOL!!!) What I don't have is the FSM specified "HD-34902-B Bearing race puller and install. tool." Sounds like a kit?

I don't have to re-install it, just remove the one that's on the shaft now.
If the puller I have won't remove it, is there any other "Best Shop Practice" means of removal?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

DLR

·
Registered
297 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
Need some advice...

I'm getting ready to pull the trans Inner Bearing race to install a BDL drive. Is there a "special" puller required, or will a standard bearing / wheel puller work?

MOCO FSM lists a puller tool number, but the diagraming looks like a sandard bearing / gear / wheel puller. (I've got one of those....LOL!!!) What I don't have is the FSM specified "HD-34902-B Bearing race puller and install. tool." Sounds like a kit?

I don't have to re-install it, just remove the one that's on the shaft now.
If the puller I have won't remove it, is there any other "Best Shop Practice" means of removal?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

DLR
This is one of those times when the correct tool is called for. Jims has a kit which includes the removal and installation tools, although you will not need to reinstall the race with the belt drive.......Bill

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can this puller be rented somewhere that you know of? I hate to incurr the expense of a new tool that I'm going to use probably once.

Thanks

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I own one and have broke a few, not really a rent item I guess you are installing the open primary. You Might be able to make a tool. If you cut a piece of flat stock and use a jaw puller, heat the bushing it might come off. I have had to heat and still swat the puller , as I could not tighten it any more. And had them hit me they came off so hard others have slide off without any trouble.

Hope you have been working the left hand as the BDL are a very hard clutch pull compared to a primo. A easy clutch would help. I would start with the light springs first.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understand Wrench. In your experience, any way to split the bearing to relieve the press and slide it off? Or does access deny this?
I too have heard about the BDL clutch pull. Have the Burly Easy Clutch and plan to run 6 springs, if not the appropriate VPC shortly there after.

I appreciate the feedback. Know what I might be up against now....

Thanks again,

DLR

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
This is a puller that we made but JIMS sells one just like it and it works exactly the same as I am going to show you. When you use the puller, place a thick hardened washer between the forcing screw tip and the main shaft end so the tapper on the forcing screw doesn't damage the main shaft end.

You can see it has a thin lip to fit behind the bearing race.

I put a sharpie mark on the main shaft to simulate the end of the gear. If you can fit this type of puller, I would recommend you buy one.

The race can "walk" up the shaft and sit right up against the gear. If this happens and you can't fit the puller behind the race, you can cut the race off using a tool like this.

I would first try to cut a slot on each side just deep enough to fit the puller into the slots and then use the puller, indicated with the sharpie marks on the side of the race. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT TO DEEP, you don't want to damage the shaft.

Another way is to cut the race off at an angle. You cut at an angle so the gear doesn't interfere and so you don't damage the gear with the cutter. You may not be able to get the last little bit of race with the cut off wheel, you can use a chisel and break the last part. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT TO DEEP. You don't want to cut into the main shaft if you can help it. If you do nick the shaft, don't worry to much, you can dress it with a light sand paper.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Springer,

Kinda what I was thinking. Excellent photo shoot detailing the particulars.

Being the "explosion welding expert" that I am .....LMAO, (Don't laugh, there really is a weld process involving the use of explosives... ), I think I can get through this. Just unexplored territory... I was hoping for feedback from the experienced sorts and I got it.

Will probably take the conservative approach, grinding relief cuts, etc.

Again, Can't thank you guys enough for the time spent on this one with me.

Much appreciated.

DLR

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Thanks for showing the cutting process. Never had to cut one off yet but my day is comming I'm sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts