V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New on this board and just reHarley'd after a few years. Anyone have any comments on pulling a trailer behind your bike? We're looking at the Quicksilver trailers made in Montana. Like to hear from owner's if you own or know of them.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Have pulled a trailer over 40k miles with an Electriglide Classic. If you're traveling two-up they are great. Lets you bring stuff to enjoy the trip more. Will cost a little fuel but it's worth it. If you take it easy, about the only think you'll notice will be faster rear tire wear. Will also require more stopping distance. If your trailer has wide axile (more distance between trailer wheels) to keep it in lane you got to ride the bike right in the center where the trash is. I would avoid a wide trailer. Also, some trailers have all the cargo space ahead of the axile...that puts a lot more tongue weight on the bike, because you can't adjust it by moving weight to the rear, behind the axile. I would recommend buying a hitch and pulling a barrowed trailer before buying a trailer. You may not like it. I ride with several people who pull trailers. There are great if you're into camping. Read somewhere that you should 10% (total trailer weight) on the tongue. When you remove all your luggage from the bike and put it in the trailer the bikes not loaded down so bad.

·
Registered
305 Posts
SRB has some good points.

I often pull my N-Line trailer just for the extra room when the Wifey is along. It's a one-wheel job with all the cargo space ahead of the trailer tire. When I pull it it does put more weight on the bike, about like having another passenger on board - I just pump the rear shocks up to 25#.

I've pulled it over 100 mph and you truely cannot tell it's back there at any speed over 15 mph. Below that the only thing you have to do is watch your ballance a little more.

Once you get used to having one - you'll wonder how you got along without it. Besides, it's fun to take the Wifey grocery shopping on the bike!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. We're looking at a teardrop shaped trailer that is made by Quicksilver in northwestern Montana. The weight seems pretty balanced and tongue weight is light. The link is quicksilvertrailers.com. We like the idea of sleeping off the ground (I did way too much of that in the past) and their galley setup. Not too mention the fact it looks kewl.
SRB-Your suggestion about trying it out first is a good one. I'll try to do that. We live in a pretty remote area so availability of rigs to try out might be tough.
I'd enjoy hearing anyone's comments on the Quicksilver or anything that can help.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've also got an N-line Trailer. Really like it. I've probably pulled it for around 20K miles now. Big thing to watch is stopping. The extra weight pushing you forward changes things. Just my opinion, but I think the Quicksilver trailer setup is too big and too heavy for a bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ed. My estimate is that loaded, the Quicksilver behind us will top around 430 lbs. Tongue weight should be around 22 lbs. It's a little lighter than it looks maybe? Width is four feet inside then add the wheels.
Our bike with us on it (plus all our crap) will go about 1300 lbs.
Never pulled a trailer behind a bike so your input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Mont, if you can't find a quicksivler demo trailer to pull before your buy, borrow a cargo trailer and fill with bricks or something to equal that weight...then go pull it. Pull up hills on Interstate and try to find a cross wind and head wind. Try a quick stop. I think your going to find that's a lot of weight. If the weight doesn't bother you, go for it... I had my cargo trailer loaded real heavy on a trip from Texas to California and back. Weight was near 450lbs. I would avoid doing that again.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Mont1340:

22 lb tongue weight is not a problem considering you've got air suspension on the back. With the bike pulling over 400 lbs, it's going to be a load though. SRB8267 is right about that. I also think the width will require that you constantly remember you've got that much sticking out on each side of the bike.

·
Registered
688 Posts
On the worst case scenerio: My brother was towing a small trailer behind his 1200 on the coast highway outside of S.F. and went down in one of the corners. Says he wasn't going fast and was paying attention to the road. Doesn't remember how, just that it was fast. Bing,Bang,Boom and down. Screwed him up for a while, Concusion, Broken bones etc. off work and much damage to bike. Also told me later he could have overloaded the trailer. BEWARE!!!

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Can I, can I, can I please see a picture of one of these 1 wheel trailer things :eek: Or even a link, they sound kind of cool :)

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Hey, MarkCuba, check out this link. Don't know if you've made Sturgis yet but there are several different people selling different versions of this trailer up and down Junction Street.

http://www.n-line.com/trailers.htm

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Thanks guys very much :cool: Them little suckers are ("here I am, 44 and using the word neet") looking. I see it is $1,700 :eek: But still, I think they may be the ticket to the usawal looking bike trailer.
Again, thanks :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts