V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put pm wheels on my 07 rk, only the pulley keeps coming loose. I retorqued and used red locktie and 200 mi later loose again. anyone else had a prob??? thanx kevin

·
Registered
772 Posts
kevmac

kevmac said:
I recently put pm wheels on my 07 rk, only the pulley keeps coming loose. I retorqued and used red locktie and 200 mi later loose again. anyone else had a prob??? thanx kevin

Just a heads up.. Since you are using locktite, I am thinking that the only way the bolts are coming loose is that they may be actually bottoming out in the threaded portion of the hub. You may want to check and make sure that your selection of bolts are a tad too long and actually are not securing the pully to the wheel. Also, what about the shank (non threaded area on top of the threads) of the bolts you are using? If you put them through the pully and you can see the shank, then this could also cause the same condition you are describing. If you are sure that the threaded fasteners you are using are the correct legnth, you may also consider using a lock washer along with locktite to secure the pully to the wheel hub. In any event, good luck.:xhere:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was using chrome, i changed em out. I'll try lock washers with the new bolts. it sures feels like the shanks are not to long cuz the washers feel tight. looks can be deceiving maybe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
kevin. i had that problem a few years back on my road king. i was running the back end too low and the tire was rubbing when i was loading up for road trips. it eventually broke a spoke on the rim and i went back to mags. but even after that, is when i starting finding the pulley bolts loose. it had become warped or untrue on the backside. dont know if this is your situation but just thought i'd share.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The threads in the hub could also be oversize.Are the bolts super loose(moves side to side) when threaded in?
A thread gage(costly) would verify this.A local machine shop might be able to check it for you if you have doughts.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The threads in the hub could be oversize.Are the bolts super loose,side to side play?A thread gage(costly) would verify this.A local machine shop should be able to check them if you have any doughts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
head said:
kevin. i had that problem a few years back on my road king. i was running the back end too low and the tire was rubbing when i was loading up for road trips. it eventually broke a spoke on the rim and i went back to mags. but even after that, is when i starting finding the pulley bolts loose. it had become warped or untrue on the backside. dont know if this is your situation but just thought i'd share.
thanx for the heads up

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RG50 said:
The threads in the hub could be oversize.Are the bolts super loose,side to side play?A thread gage(costly) would verify this.A local machine shop should be able to check them if you have any doughts.
the bolts threads feel tight when screwed in, passed my wiggle test. if they come loose again, I may get a new hub from pm

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
kevmac said:
the bolts threads feel tight when screwed in, passed my wiggle test. if they come loose again, I may get a new hub from pm
Call PM and tell them your problem they'll probably send you new bolts for free. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts