V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had some extra money so I decided to install the Andrews 48h cam in my 2010 Road Glide. Was already running a Propipe slipon from V&h with the stock 2-1 header pipe and the K & N cleaner with velocity stack (and pc-v) I told the shop I wanted a nice smooth torque band. Results and initial impressions:

1) 86 hp and 106 trq. Slow building torque from the dyno, which doesn't show many ref pts so it isn't very detailed.
2) I was expecting more punch way down low, not sure how much of that was my instructions / the tune (see intro).
3) There is definitely more torque (just not "punch") early on as I was able to accelerate going uphill in 6th gear going 60 at ~2100 rpm, where before I would have downshifted in that situation.
4) There is a distinct sweet spot that starts at 2700 rpm, the bike is eager to go faster- Daddy like!
5) No assessment of mpg yet, going to have to stop blipping the throttle constantly and/or run a couple of tanks thru it.
6) I way underestimated the affect on the sound / noise- huge difference! I am not a loud pipe guy and figured I was pretty safe with the stock header. I could tell a noticeable differnce when they fired it up in the shop and I was inside the store on the other side of the wall. It doesn't sound like straight pipe / no baffles, but it is a low frequency, penetrating sound. Speaking of which...
7) At idle the bike sounds badd a$$, loping sound like you expect from a Harley. The bike also gets louder as you hit the sweet spot at 2700 rpm. Because of my 2-1 pipe the bike sounds like the prop of a plane, with the blades rotated 90% so the blades are slapping the air....
8) There seems to be more vibration in the seat at the light- the tach is skipping around, thus the loping sound.... But, the bike is smooth when riding, with no additional mirror shake.

In summary, more fun to ride and less downshifts. If I am riding solo thru a National Park it is too loud for my taste, but my friends are going to be jealous around town.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Had some extra money so I decided to install the Andrews 48h cam in my 2010 Road Glide. Was already running a Propipe slipon from V&h with the stock 2-1 header pipe and the K & N cleaner with velocity stack (and pc-v) I told the shop I wanted a nice smooth torque band. Results and initial impressions:

1) 86 hp and 106 trq. Slow building torque from the dyno, which doesn't show many ref pts so it isn't very detailed.
2) I was expecting more punch way down low, not sure how much of that was my instructions / the tune (see intro).
3) There is definitely more torque (just not "punch") early on as I was able to accelerate going uphill in 6th gear going 60 at ~2100 rpm, where before I would have downshifted in that situation.
4) There is a distinct sweet spot that starts at 2700 rpm, the bike is eager to go faster- Daddy like!
5) No assessment of mpg yet, going to have to stop blipping the throttle constantly and/or run a couple of tanks thru it.
6) I way underestimated the affect on the sound / noise- huge difference! I am not a loud pipe guy and figured I was pretty safe with the stock header. I could tell a noticeable differnce when they fired it up in the shop and I was inside the store on the other side of the wall. It doesn't sound like straight pipe / no baffles, but it is a low frequency, penetrating sound. Speaking of which...
7) At idle the bike sounds badd a$$, loping sound like you expect from a Harley. The bike also gets louder as you hit the sweet spot at 2700 rpm. Because of my 2-1 pipe the bike sounds like the prop of a plane, with the blades rotated 90% so the blades are slapping the air....
8) There seems to be more vibration in the seat at the light- the tach is skipping around, thus the loping sound.... But, the bike is smooth when riding, with no additional mirror shake.

In summary, more fun to ride and less downshifts. If I am riding solo thru a National Park it is too loud for my taste, but my friends are going to be jealous around town.
Cool, I have only used that cam once in quite a bit different application but really liked the lopey idle as well, wasn't expecting it from a what is really a smaller bolt in camset.
What cubic inch is your bike, still 96?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, still at 96". I wanted to get the best torque / bagger cam for my TC 96 and Andrews recommended the 48h.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have this cam sitting in my closet waiting to replace the 26H I installed last year in my '09 Fat Bob. Just waiting for the snow to melt.......BTW, got the cam off ebay for around $250. I'm also installing a set of Comp 850-1 lifters to hopefully quiet down the sewing machine a little.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I might ask, Where did you get the cam and how much?
Thinking of going that way also.

Barney
The shop ordered the cam for me from Andrews and the misc parts (adjustable push rods) from a vendor. The cam was $287.95 on the invoice. I wish I would have thought about quieter lifters as I don't enjoy that sound at any rpm.....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Which lifters make less noise?
How many miles did yours have on them when you changed to the 48 cam?
Seems like I hear that any time anyone changes cams they get more noise.

Barney

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which lifters make less noise?
How many miles did yours have on them when you changed to the 48 cam?
Seems like I hear that any time anyone changes cams they get more noise.

Barney
I don't know anything about quiet lifters, but the idea sounds great. I knew I didn't need new springs / llifters because of the lift on the 48h so I didn't go any further than that. If nobody chimes in you can make a seperate thread asking if there are springs / lifters that are quieter.......:whistle:

·
Registered
716 Posts
wish I would have thought about quieter lifters as I don't enjoy that sound at any rpm.....

Your quote above thus the question about the quieter lifters.

Just thought that you knew about quieter a quieter brand.

Thanks for the answers.

Barney

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't tried the new lifters yet, but after doing some research I decided to give the Comp 850-1 lifters a shot. My Fat Bob has always had the sewing machine sound and it didn't change any with the 26H. I figured for $60 it's worth a shot on throwing new lifters in it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't tried the new lifters yet, but after doing some research I decided to give the Comp 850-1 lifters a shot. My Fat Bob has always had the sewing machine sound and it didn't change any with the 26H. I figured for $60 it's worth a shot on throwing new lifters in it.
Pls share if it works or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the report on the 48 I had that cam on my list when I was shopping for cams, in the end I decided to go with the SE204 since I could not find a lot of feedback on the 48. Based on your impressions it sounds like I should get similar results with the 204's

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
If I might ask, Where did you get the cam and how much?
Thinking of going that way also.

Barney
Doing some shopping earlier this week and DirectHarleyParts had them for $225... don't know if that was regular price or.... didn't call on them.
Sounds like the 48 is working out well for the OP...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put a couple of miles on the cam, including ~750 yesterday. This cam has personality and pulls strong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
drivr01 i just installed the 48h in my '10 flhtc went to have it tuned and i've got some issuses. you got a ph so i can ask you a few questions. thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of problems are you having? My bike is running great; next step is 30 tooth sprocket and then work on the suspension.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After a 3,000 mile trip to Daytona I do have more info on MPG. Before cam I used to get 38-42 MPG average, now I get ~36-39 on most tanks, but I did hit 42 a couple of tanks. My mileage varies a lot more now but that is probably because I like goosing the throttle :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put a couple of miles on the cam, including ~750 yesterday. This cam has personality and pulls strong.
went back to the guy that orig dyno tuned the bike. he got to about 30% throttle and said it sounded like the top end was comming off. went down to have a listen and oh yea it does.we change out the lifters 'cause they showed som really weird wear marks.set it back up and it still making noise.going back to stock cams to see if its the cams or not. Andrews said not the cams.of coarse.i only put about 300 miles on tha cams b4 trying to get it tuned. didnt know if anyone else has noticed an increase in lifter noise. thanks

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I also got increased top end noise when 48's went into my 2010 SG.
Have a set of SnS lifters on the way, might also try adjustable pushrods instead of OEM.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I also got increased top end noise when 48's went into my 2010 SG.
Have a set of SnS lifters on the way, might also try adjustable pushrods instead of OEM.
Hello Bro, what engine are you running the A48`s in and how do you find them?..................How far in did you adjust the pushrods? You put me onto these cams a while ago and I am interested in knowing what you think about them in regard to idle, idle quality, performance and where they work rpm wise etc etc.....

I have run the Hydrosolids recently and found with beehive springs and the small amount of adjustment available they were a bastard to "feel" to set them up correctly and I ended up using a dial indicator and measured the depth.............very noisy for a few more hp in the top end only so not much chop for the street imho.

Ran a new set of SE`s and they were about the same noise as stock units.......but I noticed the thinner the oil the more sewing machine noise the motor made..............

Currently trying out Woods beautifully presented lifters and again, dependant on oil thickness as to how loud motor gets.......although they do feel quiter than the others but that just might be my ear "wanting" them to be quiter......hmmmm.........

Ozroder

1 - 20 of 28 Posts