V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my 99 flstf is back at the dealer due to a fuel leak.

I parked the scoot to get a bite to eat, when I came back, there was a puddle of fuel underneath it. It was coming out of that overflow hose on the carb (CV). I tried starting it and the fuel started to come out from under the air cleaner. After taking the cover off, I saw where the fuel was coming out of, so I tried blowin some carb cleaner around with no luck. It would stop if the petcock was off.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Cannibal

·
Registered
626 Posts
when this happened to me, i banged on the side of the carb with a screw driver. not too hard though. i THINK the float in the carb was sticking. i have not had a problem since. hope this helps, maybe im just loony?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yup float stuck, should have taped on the side of the carb. I used to have to do that on a old sporty I had. Then replaced the carb the next year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
hi again
cannibal needs to make sure that the cause is a "hanging" float.
If that`s the case ,then there isn`t any need for replacing the whole carb.
The needle-valve below the float is closed by the float. If the float won`t close, the needle-valve is in 9 out of ten damaged. Costs you maybe $ 1.00, make it $2.00.
I`ve seen bended float-axles but this happens when someone opened the carb before...
Your bike is pretty new...how does the inside of your tank looks alike ? Maybe it`s time to change your favourite gasstation or simply get a 50 cent fuel-filter ?

ray

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies. The bike is pretty new and already has a 10 micron filter between the carb and tank. The tank is pretty clean. I hope it was not as simple as tapping on the carb since the dealer now has it and will charge me an arm and a leg to work on it!

Honestly, I need to learn how to work on this thing! I have built high horsepower Mustangs (Ford) for years, but there is this unfamiliarity with a motorcycle engine that scares me. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and tear into it once in a while.

Thanks again, I will update when I get it back.
Cannibal

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an '02 Fatboy. First weekend in February, I started it up and it fired right up, but died 2 seconds later. Turned it over, and it behaved as though it was flooded. 2 seconds later, gas was pouring out thru the air cleaner. I could ride it as long as I regulated the fuel with the gas tank petcock. Thought it was the float - so I tried tapping on it with a 1x2 and a mallet - no luck.

Took it to the dealer (under warranty). Two weeks later it came back with a new accelerator pump rod - dealer said grooves were worn in the old one.

Next time I rode it, it was okay for ~ 30 miles and several start-ups, but at a stop light on the way home, it started dumping fuel again. It went back to the dealer for a 2nd time, and the mechanic adjusted the float.

It ran fine the day I picked it up. The next weekend it started up, then died, then flooded, then dumped gas out through the air cleaner - just like the first time.

I drove it back to the dealer, and on the way, the symptoms stopped. The dealer's mechanic punched a hole through the inner liner of the gas cap and said if that works, then the check valve for the gas tank pressure relief system must be bad. If that's the case, he'll pull the rear tire and change it (and replace the gas cap).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 85 FXRS and the fuel also empties out of the overflow tube intermittently. I bought a kit and rebiult the carb. which is the stock Kenan (sp) one. It still empties. I have a new float, but didn't want to try to replace it since it looks like it requires strict measurements.

I also just replaced the stock airfilter with a K&N and have heard different views as to whether I should re jet.

Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Next time it does it, loosen the fuel cap on the tank. If it stops, then it may be the pressure relief system. (Mine seems to be okay now, see my post above yours.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
shovelbolle said:
Costs you maybe $ 1.00, make it $2.00.
ray
Hmm, tell that to HD. I went to the dealer thinkin' it would be a rip-off - maybe $5 tops. They charged me $11.50 for a new float needle. The new needle failed to stop the intermittent free-flow out the overflow tube. After what must have been 6 more adjustments I did of the float level, the damned thing finally quit leaking. Still not sure what the true culprit was but it finally quit pissin' fuel out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Tennesee? You replyed " the check valve for the gas tank pressure relief system must be bad. If that's the case, he'll pull the rear tire and change it (and replace the gas cap)." Is there more to this than than the gas cap? Where is the pressure relief system on a 85 FXRS? Did punching the hole do the trick? It seems there a lot of problems with older models and I can't beleive this is the only solution, but I will give it a try if this works.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the carb yet, so I'm not sure what you are calling the overflow tube. From the context, it sounds like some tube coming directly off the carburetor. Mine is an '02 twin cam, and the fuel was coming out a hole in the plate that mounts my K&N air filter assembly. The hole is at about the 10 o'clock position. Is that the overflow tube?

Now that I think more about it, we may be talking two different systems. My tank has a nipple welded onto it under the instrument cluster at the highest point - where there will always be an air bubble. There is a rubber line attached that weaves back through to the tire side of the rear fender, ending just in front of the rear tire. There is a check valve on the end of the hose. It only allows excess pressure in the tank to pass out. I assume makeup air comes in through the gas cap to avoid a vacuum in the tank as fuel is used by the engine.

Probably on your '85, the gas cap is supposed to flow both ways. A decent parts guy or mechanic should be able to tell you. At any rate, next time you're dumping fuel, open the gas cap to relieve tank pressure. If that fixes it, you know your pressure relief system is messed up. (Maybe all you need is a new gas cap?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK. I have spoken to quite a few experts and if this helps even one person, it was worth posting. The net is: 85 FXRS, two different carbs, two different gas caps. New carb is a Mikuni. Same problem. Dumps fuel out of the overflow tube. Two different people have told me if it is a vapor lock, it would starve the carb of fuel. The last person made the most sense. He said, remove the petcock and look at the fuel strainer. It probably worn or not even installed and is passing rust or dirt from the tank to the float which in turns sticks open. Makes sense, so I am once again tearing into the bike this weekend. I might also add an additional fuel filter. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like the combination of cleaning the petcock fuel strainer and installing an in-line fule filter did it. The fuel filter cost $12.00. If I had installed it from the beginning, I would have saved myself a lot of headaches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts