V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vibration while riding causes my pucks to loosen and the lids to open. The locks are jammed from road grit and grime so they are not functioning at the moment. I do have one working after using some carb cleaner and Remington gun oil but the other one is too far gone so I ordered a replacement. In the meantime, I have to secure the lids with bungee straps which looks like crap but I don't have to worry about the lids opening going down the highway. I plan to tighten and tweak the wire latch on the pucks as best I can to try and make them stay tight.

My question is if this is a normal issue and if so what is the best fix?

Also, I have looked at replacing the pucks with the flush mount push button latches, are these any better?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same issues, i bought a cheap flush mount latch off ebay, it was pure junk. I did not install it because i would have had to drill the hole in the top of the lids bigger (permanent modification) and it was cheep plastic junk!!!
I have been thinking about adding some sort of foam to the lid seal in attempt to tighten them up a bit as i think some of the rattle comes from the hinges and tightening the hinges may keep the latches from unlatching.
I have also been thinking about replacing the bags all together. Good condition used harley bags are expensive. The only thing i have read about the cheap ebay after market bags is that cold weather makes them brittle??? but that is not a problem for me as i live in sw Florida. But i belive " ya get what ya pay for" and the hardware will probley rattel open on the cheep ebay bags.
I do not like the looks of those pucks, and anything less than the harley bags will probley be disappointing.
Idk, but i dont think harley hardware is available from hd dealer for the older bags???
But to answer your question, the flush mount latch i got off ebay was of poor quality and had to make the hole in the lid bigger.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I manipulated the puck latches (bent'm with pliers :rolleyes: ) in such a manner that they stay engaged/latched until I turn them to open the bags. Mine never open by themselves now.

Pucks are good (o:

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
I manipulated the puck latches (bent'm with pliers :rolleyes: ) in such a manner that they stay engaged/latched until I turn them to open the bags. Mine never open by themselves now.

Pucks are good (o:
I like pucking too.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Pucks are good (o:
This is what I'm going to try I figure if I tweak the tab maybe the indent on it will grab the wire better. I like pucking around too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same issues, i bought a cheap flush mount latch off ebay, it was pure junk. I did not install it because i would have had to drill the hole in the top of the lids bigger (permanent modification) and it was cheep plastic junk!!!
I have been thinking about adding some sort of foam to the lid seal in attempt to tighten them up a bit as i think some of the rattle comes from the hinges and tightening the hinges may keep the latches from unlatching.
I have also been thinking about replacing the bags all together. Good condition used harley bags are expensive. The only thing i have read about the cheap ebay after market bags is that cold weather makes them brittle??? but that is not a problem for me as i live in sw Florida. But i belive " ya get what ya pay for" and the hardware will probley rattel open on the cheep ebay bags.
I do not like the looks of those pucks, and anything less than the harley bags will probley be disappointing.
Idk, but i dont think harley hardware is available from hd dealer for the older bags???
But to answer your question, the flush mount latch i got off ebay was of poor quality and had to make the hole in the lid bigger.
I've seen some that were cheap and some that were quite a bit more. Then I noticed the cheap ones were described as chrome finished plastic. If I replace them I want metal, like Willyone said a little work with some pliers will probably set me straight. They are almost 15 years old so they have a fair amount of wear. Thanks for the heads up on the plastic Chicom crap.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My pucks stay latched. You have to adjust them over time as it is a friction fit so they tend to wear. Avoid putting lube or grease on them. I know several folks that have the push button latches but I don't know what brand. They also seem to work but they pop open every now and then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tweaked the tabs, repaired one of my locks and replaced the other one. No more pucking problems, bags stay shut on the highway now without the bungee straps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts