V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 FXD, my first Harley. I love it. It is mostly stock except for pipes, custom paint and seat. I am sure I will add more to it as time goes on. It is an awesome bike, and I can't ever see me riding my Honda Shadow again.

Quick question. It was 36 degrees when I got the bike and rode it home. The trip was about 20 miles (interstate). The bike never really seemed to get warm on the trip. It strated up and ran fine in the shop, but on the way home it seemed to run rough, but if I pulled the choke out it ran better. Even when I got home after riding 20 minutes it still seemed to run better choked than not. Is there something I should check, or have the shop check?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Not much of a wrench here so I can't help you with the choke queston, but I would like to congratulate you on the new scoot.

Put up some pics when you can

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pics:

·
Banned
154 Posts
Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner? Was the carb rejetted properly?

Check the plugs. It sounds to me like when you add more gas, it runs better, so maybe it's running lean.

·
Just Sayin'
2,529 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.:chopper: Nice paint job too!! :thumbsup: Enjoy

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
DynaLow05 said:
Congrats on the new ride.:chopper: Nice paint job too!! :thumbsup: Enjoy

What he said!! @gree: Looks like the previous owner did a real nice job -- and you're reaping the bennies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
congrats--very nice looking bike! I just got my 05 super G last sat. Never expected to own a Harley so I'm still dazed. Again--very nice bike. Ride safe.

·
Banned
17,239 Posts
choke?

Very pretty bike. You'll pick up lots of babes with it. Isn't that right, guys?

It is not a choke, restricting air. It is an enrichener, giving more fuel. From here it looks like your air cleaner is a contained unit, not open in the back side. I may be wrong but I think that is an untouched stock air cleaner. If the pipes have already been changed then you should do something with the AC. That is a whole nother matter and we don't have time for it right now. There are as many air cleaners out there as cams and pipes.
Hope you find your stitched seat comfortable on long rides.
Fred

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful bike! You need to open up that air filter with a SE air filter ("stage I kit" for EFI) kit as well as re-jetting your carb. The back plate on the air filter housing comes off and a better (K&N) filter is installed. I don't know anything about carbs but your HD dealer will be able to get it dialed in.

The stock filters and exhausts (mufflers) are restrictive and most bike manufacturers have the bikes set lean for smog purposes. As stated by Fred1369, if the exhuast is modified you usually need to adjust the intake. Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts