V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where it sits for now. Over the winter I plan to bring the front-end up approx. 2" and add the matching wheel, etc. to the rear of the bike.

Hope you all like...

K.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
wow, don't think I ever have seen a softail with a front end like that. fill me in

·
Registered
2 Posts
buell front end

I love that front end you have. I really would like more info on that if you don't mind. I would like to do the same. I have a softail with a 17in rear and 21 front. I really would like to make a bobber out of that set up with what you got. Any info you have with what it took you to put that front end on I would really appreciate it.

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
The bike is tough with that fork set. Headlight may need to be adjusted though; aim looks a little low.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitram_b4 said:
wow, don't think I ever have seen a softail with a front end like that. fill me in
MFSB said:
I love that front end you have. I really would like more info on that if you don't mind.
Accutronix triple trees, Buell XB9r forks/wheel/rotor/caliper/fender, '08 Dyna headlamp, Avon grips, a combination of ARP 12-pt stainless & cap head stainless hardware, Bridgestone 120/70/17 tire. The forks were sent out to Race Tech for their springs, valves, and emulators.

FWIW... The front end is really low at approx. 2" clearance. The Buell forks are really too low for the application, but I plan on modifying them and raising the bike back up another +2". If doing it again I would look into other inverted fork possibilities that are longer... As it sits now getting the bike off the table lift & out of the driveway is difficult. Speed bumps are a no-go...

That said... With the +2" and the rear matching I think the build is Bad A$$!! I love the looks of it all, especially the wheel/rotor combination. Initial thoughts on the handling is completely different from the oem FL setup. The change also net me approx. 58.2 lbs. lighter...

Scrubs said:
Headlight may need to be adjusted though; aim looks a little low.
Yeah... I was using the oem stock FLSTC mount for trial fit at the time, and it's edge didn't clear the lamp for proper aiming. I fixed that last night.

K.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If doing it again I would look into other inverted fork possibilities that are longer... As it sits now getting the bike off the table lift & out of the driveway is difficult. Speed bumps are a no-go...

K.
The buell forks look good and I really like the rim parimeter mounted front brake disk. Thats what sets it apart to me. :)

I went with the storz 55mm inverted forks on my pro street frame softtail. It was a simple bolt on and the 13 inch, hub mounted discs with it allows me to stick with most any after market wheel.

The rim mounted brake discs are worth looking at other options to me as far as wheels, front calipers and caliper mounts for my existing front end are concerned tho...If I could do something like that and stick with a 21" front rim would be my only sticking point...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice, be sure to post a pic with the additional 2" up front.
Definitely!! I have an event at our local S.B.B. on the 29th, then I'm getting into the rear wheel/fender swap and 2" raise for the front.

I just keep getting out-bid on the '07-newer Fatboy rear fenders... :spank: LOL!!

K.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Yeah those are tough to come by....I believe Zanotti has them new in primer for low $300's...build is lookin mean though!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot I had this thread out there, so I figured I'd update it a little. I've been pretty busy with other projects so this has been on the back burner.

Pic.1: I'm swapping over to EFI and I picked up a really nice NT tank with all the pump components.

Pic.2: The Buell rear wheel!

Pic.3: The Fatboy rear fender I picked up, which will be painted to match once everything is trial fit. I also came up with a deal on a bobtail fender the other day, so now I have my choice on rear fenders.

More soon, as it happens!

K.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking good K!

How hard is that wheel gonna be to get fitting correctly?
Its been awhile since I measured everything, but... IIRC, the wheel hub measures approx. 9" wide, the swing-arm measures approx. 10.5" inside width, & the caliper bracket measures approx. 1" or so... Doing the math... #[email protected] Then there needs to be a custom sprocket, custom rotor, custom axle sleeves to fit with the bearings, etc. And I'm still not too sure on the exact fitment yet! It's an expensive experiment, that's for sure!

K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts