V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, H.O.G. is ok. I'll probably keep my national membership going.
And I also think joining a chapter is good for some. But I've owned alot of bikes over the years besides a Harley. Before I go any further let me clearly state : I love my Harley more than all of the rest! But Its taken me
a long time to afford one. The thing is, I ride with alot of friends that all don't ride Harley's , not that they dislike'm, they can't afford them either at this time. And H.O.G.'s rules are you must own a Harley to become a member or join a chapter. In my opinion, friendships that I've made over the years are more important to me than joining a H.O.G. chapter. But I also say if ya don't have someone to ride with , go for it!
I'm sure there are alot great folks in H.O.G. chapters out there. Its all about the freedom.

Injoy The Wind, Ride Safe!

·
Registered
103 Posts
HOG Membership

Hi Mitch.........from another Texan. I also have some really good riding buddies that don't own Harley's. That didn't stop my wife and I from joining the local HOG Chapter, and I am very glad we did. We have made a lot of new friends by joining the chapter and there are a lot of times that my non-Harley riding friends are busy doing other things and can't ride with us. Making new friends and sharing the Harley Family has been a great experience. I hope you will reconsider joining a local chapter. I'm sure that your friends will be joining you ASAP.

Keep in touch........
Tommie - in Sweetwater TX :cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mitch,
I fit the description you're talking about. I've been riding bikes 30+ years, they were all metrics. The guys I ride with (some have Harleys but most don't) are all good guys trying to make it. I know they want a Harley but can't afford one. I wasn't able to afford a Harley until now -- it's on order. Even with my bike on order HOG & the local chapter still won't even talk to me, doesn't seem right but what can a non-Harley owning person do about it. Heck, I've even heard some horror stories from people right here in this forum that are HOG members -- they're treated like a number -- not family. It's a private club -- you have to physically own a Harley to be recognized and God help you if you need a part like a fork. You may have read where one of the members here has been waiting on a part for his Harley since the middle of May. I've never had any use for private stuck up clubs or organizations that think they're something special. When I get my Harley I'll be out riding it with friends, family and Brothers.
You also ride safe and in the wind.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Boy, this is really interesting. I think I agree with some of everything said. Although this is not my 1st Harley, I have never joined the local HOG, mainly becuase I had to do something (i.e. sign up)and historically I was too busy. I now have more time and would like to meet a few individuals/couples to ride with. I am fairly sure i wouldn't like larger group rides, just isn't my style, and rules etc are a big part of my job and why we like to get away on the Harley.

We will probably join the local group (Glendale, Ca.) and see what its like. I have been involved with several car clubs over the years, Corvette and then Porsche, and I can easily identify with both the positive and negative comments on these threads.

If anyone has any specific experience with local SoCal groups I would appreciate any comments. We like to ride a lot, several hundred miles over a weekend is common (we have a road king, so its easy to do).

thanks, greg

·
Registered
544 Posts
I too find this interesting; I join my local chapter mainly to get into the soonest available Basic Rider Training course at the local Community College. The local chapter has right of first refusal to one class a month. I kind of see what Cox is referring to a degree but it hard to be embraced when you don't have one yet. It's real hard to go on rides and become involved in the training classes when you don't have a bike.

I have met a lot of cool folks through the local club and have gained a little more knowledge because of it.

Of course riding a V-Rod puts me in a group by myself to a degree but it's cool because once the air heads get used to you they start asking a lot of good questions about the bike and they are truly interested, but don't want to show it around the others.
One of the guys in our local used to work for Mobil and was very helpful in getting me information regarding switching to Mobil 1 synthetic.

And our local has some cool trips planned, like an over night stay at a B&B and cover bridge tour of southern PA. They are visiting something like 13 covered bridges in the area and cruzing on all the back roads to get to them. I have to admit getting involved does take a little effort but I think the reward and benefit is worth it, plus I don't know that many folks I can just ring up and go riding, and so far they have been a real great group of people. But again it's hard to judge until you have something to ride and want to do things with others.

For me anyway it has been fun to get involved.

Hay, Cox meeting tonight lets meet up, if you are free you can give me the V-Rod CD there.

Dave

P.S. You get out of anything what you put into it, you can sit on the side lines and watch or get in the game, what ever makes you happy.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Dave, I just sent you a message. I'll meet you there. I need to see / meet some other management people to discuss my beef with this dealership. I've been trying to get a status on my bike for 3 weeks, all I ever get told is that the sales manager is out and he hasn't loaded / updated their database. Then they say, "even when it does get updated and my bike shows up on their screen, it doesn't mean we can tell you when you're getting your bike." This is what I call a "NO-GO at this station". I can't even order parts and get their flunky discount without a VIN#
I've read here in this forum that other people are getting better service from their dealer. I'm getting thier attitude like they're doing me a favor by allowing me to order from them. Anyway let me stop -- I'm getting close to the edge.
Yeah for sure I'll be there and I'll bring your DVD. Sure appreciate you letting me borrow the "Birth of the V-Rod".

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
cox9000 said:
Heck, I've even heard some horror stories from people right here in this forum that are HOG members -- they're treated like a number -- not family. It's a private club -- you have to physically own a Harley to be recognized and God help you if you need a part like a fork. You may have read where one of the members here has been waiting on a part for his Harley since the middle of May. I've never had any use for private stuck up clubs or organizations that think they're something special.
Have to physically own a Harley because national needs VIN to register you. I've been National member since April 2001 and local since around same time. I've been to about 6 - 8 meetings in in that time due to other things going on. Not once in any of the meetings has anyone except for the chapter Pres.(and only once) said, "Hello", "Kiss my butt" or anything. I've even tried to start conversations a couple of times by asking questions and been shrugged off.

Now, I'm a pretty easy going guy and will talk to anyone. People in Home Depot and places like that have asked me for help before(go figure :D ). Wife & sisters know that if I'm somewhere and start talking, we're gonna be a while.

But this past weekend, we went on the MDA Poker Run and did hook up(well, actually we just tagged along with some people who knew where the hell to go) with some of the members. 3 of them sort of took control of group of about 9 of us and made sure we stayed together. I sat next to them when we got back and eating a burger and while not overly talkative, they were nice enough guys. So I guess I'll start going more and letting people see me and maybe eventually be 'accepted'.

If not, I like riding alone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: HOG Membership

I hope you will reconsider joining a local chapter. I'm sure that your friends will be joining you ASAP.

Keep in touch........
Tommie - in Sweetwater TX :

Hey Tommie, nice bike !
I bet you & your wife really injoy the ride too! Are you in a chapter in
Sweetwater? At this time, I don't have internet service at home. So I can
only post & read when find the time at work. I bought my bike in Abilene.
I'm closer to the DFW area, but Kent's gave me a much better price than anywhere else. Almost joined that chapter, like the folks real well. Have'nt completly ruled out joining a H.O.G. chapter. Just kinda taking my
time & injoying my ride right now.:p

Injoy The Ride, Ride Safe!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HEY Cox,
Hang in there Buddy! It was'nt too long ago, when I was feeling just like you. Could'nt get no sleep, could'nt get no work done from looking at all those parts catalogs. And guess what it only gets worse as it gets closer to that delivery date! It did for me anyway. I've had my Heritage for going on about three months now and I still can't get rid of this silly grin off my face.:p

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks for the pat on the back / motivational pep talk, glad to know others went through this -- makes me feel a bit more normal. You've got me pegged dude -- sleep? work? HA! I'm saving all my vacation days for when the bike comes in. Me and my son are going on a serious road trip. I'll schedule all the initial service checks when I pick up the bike -- 1000 miles is gona go quick.
By the way I like the pic you have under your name.

PS: Still grinning after 3 months? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cox,
Yes the miles fly by before ya realize! Hope you & your son have a
great trip. I like the pic ya have too. It reminds me of one I seen somewhere
on the net, its a squirrle standing next to a sportser, with leathers on and
his nad's hangin to the ground. Gotta GO! :p

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
cox9000 said:
Dave, I just sent you a message. I'll meet you there. I need to see / meet some other management people to discuss my beef with this dealership. I've been trying to get a status on my bike for 3 weeks, all I ever get told is that the sales manager is out and he hasn't loaded / updated their database. Then they say, "even when it does get updated and my bike shows up on their screen, it doesn't mean we can tell you when you're getting your bike." This is what I call a "NO-GO at this station". I can't even order parts and get their flunky discount without a VIN#
I've read here in this forum that other people are getting better service from their dealer. I'm getting thier attitude like they're doing me a favor by allowing me to order from them. Anyway let me stop -- I'm getting close to the edge.
Yeah for sure I'll be there and I'll bring your DVD. Sure appreciate you letting me borrow the "Birth of the V-Rod".
cox9000,

Your situation is exactly like mine a few months ago. You are just extremely anxious, nothing wrong with that:) :)

I think part of the problem is that we have become acustom to instant gratification, I know you want your scooter NOW .

I don't think you're being mistreaded [at the time I had the same suspicions;) ]. You'll get to be mistreated after you buy your bike and join the ranks of the other poor schmucks trying to get their rides serviced

Breath deep, spend some time with your loved ones, cause you'll be neglecting them soon enough;)

Are you going to the Open Road Tour in Baltimore this weekend? They are supposed to have 10,000 bikes (one of each Harley ever made?).

wyo

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Mitch!

Mitch,

I joined the West Texas Chapter at Kent's. They have been a great group to get to know. I bought my bike in Longview Texas. My dad lives there and I just happened to be there when that pretty black Ultra was sitting in their shop getting dressed out for the showroom floor. It never made it to the showroom! :D I bought the bike and rode it home 350 miles to Sweetwater. Nice slow ride while breaking it in. :cool:
I just took it in for the 5,000 mile service and Power Commander install today at Kent's. I couldn't be happier with the bike, the service at Kent's or the HOG Chapter in Abilene. Maybe sometime when you are out this way we can meet in Abilene and swap a few stories and take a ride together.

Take care....

Tommie

·
Just bad
698 Posts
cox9000 said:
Thanks for the pat on the back / motivational pep talk, glad to know others went through this -- makes me feel a bit more normal. You've got me pegged dude -- sleep? work? HA! I'm saving all my vacation days for when the bike comes in. Me and my son are going on a serious road trip. I'll schedule all the initial service checks when I pick up the bike -- 1000 miles is gona go quick.
By the way I like the pic you have under your name.

PS: Still grinning after 3 months? :)
Quick is an understatement. I bought mine on 7/2 and have added 1,600 miles without leaving metro ATL ... yet :). And that's including a week of downtime while I plodded thru a left side seal job. Of course the benefit has been fewer $35 gas stops in my truck and best parking all day, everyday (my office has bike parking right next to the handicapped spots :D)

·
Registered
695 Posts
wyodude,
You're absolutely right -- sometimes it's hard to face the truth even when it's right in your face. I'll take your advise. Thanks for sharing what you went through also. I am trying to make time in my work schedule to make it to the Open Road Tour in Baltimore this weekend. Thanks for mentioning it. If I can make it, I'll send you a message so that maybe we could meet up somewhere.

thomas_l,
Well alright!! You been riding your butt off haven't you -- way to go dude! OH Yeah, I can relate to those high dollar gas stops in my truck. I burn 87 in my truck but I understand that I'll have to burn 93 in my Harley. I plan on a taking a road trip to GA this year because I have some friends down there. When I get all the details worked out I'll email you -- we'll go for a ride!!!

Mitch,
That other pic you described sounds funny, if you see it again could you email it to me? Yeah me and my son are going to have a blast -- we're going to be roughing it -- in survival mode HA!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been riding bikes for 35+ years. Got my first Harley December lasts year. Joined the local HOG group the first of the year. Great group, very open and friendly. No problems talking to anyone, no obvious clicks. Been on 4 or 5 rides/runs with them, very professional, concerned with safety, etc. Believe these attributes are from the people themselves which will be different with each HOG chapter. Strange that the dealer with which this chapter is sponsored will never get any of my money. I spent two years trying to buy a bike from them and couldn't deal. Finally got bike from dealer miles away. But HOG group is great. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi People!

I, too, am a full member of National HOG and joined a local chapter, which I am also the Web Mistress for. The Secretary of our club, which currently has 450+ members, rides a Suzuki.

Being behind the scenes of our chapter I have to agree with both sides. At first we did not feel welcomed, however we are both sleeved with many tattoos and are misjudged in many circles. My husband, to this day, does not always feel comfortable and is thinking of locating another riding group. I, on the other hand, am having no quams and ignore the yuppie side of the club. None the less, we have been on some great rides and I am looking forward to more.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Have been a memer of my local chapter a couple years. They came looking for me before I could ask. The dealer/entire shop staff are all involved and hit most of the events.

Nobody gets along with everybody all the time, but it's a good group, and the experience has definately been positive. As normaly the Rally scene and some events are HOG members only, but we host plenty of open events as well as some joint events with other groups.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I wonder how many people know where Sedalia MO is? Whiteman AFB is right outside the town. I got there just too late they just sealed up one of the silos they had open for maintenance, otherwise I'd gotten a behind the scenes tour.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Most don't recognise Whiteman either until you say B-2. Spent eight years there, got out just before they started puling the Minuteman system out.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts