V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I just got assigned to our Motor Division and passed our training course. I did well but the bike is a bit high for me. I have short legs. Inseam is about a 27. Anyway I have been researching the net for a lowering kit for the FLHPI and found one made by White Bros. and Burly Brand which is Kuryakyn. I found Progressive makes a lowering spring for the front end. I talked to our shop mechanic and he said it can be done but I may lose some leaning capabilities. He suggested raising the foot boards and that should correct the problem. He said the pros are: when the front is lowered it should bring in the angle of the front wheel and that should help with steering through the course. The center of gravity will be lower and that should help also. He said the cons would probably be at high speeds. Some or a little stability would be lost at high speeds. Of course he said he hasnt been down this journey of lowering a Police RK so this is all guess. Anyway Im thinking about selling this idea to the department and I spoke to my LT. He is ok with it if the shop mechanic approves. I need some input from others. If anyone has tried it let me know what their experience has been with this.

PS Shorter shocks are not a great idea due to cost. They wont go for that!

Thanks
Joe

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum! The kit that I use based on many recommendations here is from So-Low http://www.solowmotorcycles.com/. The guy who makes them is a full-time firefighter named Jim Seichepine. They are made from solid stainless steel. The qulity is top notch and the price is not bad either (around $75-80). Give him a shout. :)

P.S. Where in FL are you?

Regards -Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Im in the Orlando area. Thanks for the info. Ill give him a shout. Im not sure his will work though. It says its for the RK that has air shocks. I dont think the new bikes coming in have them. I have to check with the shop.

Any other replies would be appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
He said the cons would probably be at high speeds. Some or a little stability would be lost at high speeds.
You don't really lose stability as long as the wheels are in a straight line, but it does make the steering a little quicker because as you lower the front end you are bringing the distance from the front axle to the rear axle closer together. You just have to realize that it takes less input to get it to turn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well heres the diddy: Lowering the bike is not recommended due to the way we train to ride. After speaking with several people I found that the best choice for a short rider is to get a thinner seat. An after market seat or even thinning out the stock seat. I was also informed that taking your motor boots to a shoe repair store and having them doubled soled also helps. I forgot to mention I let the air out of the seat and the rear shocks. This has helped me a bit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you need to use the stock seat with the shock? If you do not "have to' use that seat, you can remove the seat and shock and install a solo seat that is thinned out. This will drop you down several inches and solve the problem.

·
Still in one piece
269 Posts
Hey Joe, as a retired motor from San Diego, lower the seat if you must but not the bike. Leave it as stock as the day they issued it to you. Police motor work often calls for sharp quick turns and moving the bike closer to the ground will eventually cause you to crash, usually at the worst moment. You can also do what we used to do and get an extra sole and heel put on you motor boots. Makes them kinda stiff to walk in but you don't do much walking anyway, that's why you have a bike....

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Lowering FLHPI

I lowered Mine an inch front and back and dont regret it a bit. To me it feels way more stable. Stops are a lot more secure for me too. Though I do scrape my pipes now at times and I cant lean it over as far, I still am glad I did it. Also I wouldnt lower it too much as it could cause your rear tire to rub against your fender. About an inch is as low as I would go.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
:whatever: I'm lowering mine front, H-D Profile lowering kit, and rear, Progressive 440 shocks. I've lowered bikes before and found them to be more stable. 1969 FLH, 1958 FLH and 1974 FLH to name a few. All were police units....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts