V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5 for fighting!
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently due to a neck injury I lost the ability to extend 2 fingers on my right hand and the grip strength is diminished. I'm concerned about my ability to apply front brake pressure. Anyone have any knowledge on the possibility of having a proportional brake system installed on my 04 FXDLI that might allow me to ride safely? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
lrodptl said:
Recently due to a neck injury I lost the ability to extend 2 fingers on my right hand and the grip strength is diminished. I'm concerned about my ability to apply front brake pressure. Anyone have any knowledge on the possibility of having a proportional brake system installed on my 04 FXDLI that might allow me to ride safely? Thanks.
First of all, I sorry to hear what happened to you. Second, I am going out on a limb here, but I'll do it anyway. If your bike has a single disk set up, you may consider putting a master cylinder for a dual disk system in. It features a larger cylinder bore thus increasing the pressure on the caliper pistons proportionally to the diameter increase of the master cylinder. This may help to overcome your limited grip strength. I am not aware of other downsides other than not letting anyone else grab a handful of front brake on your bike.

Others more inclined to mechanical issues hopefully chime in

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
You could run a single cylinder with a bias control to set the amount of front brake that you have. I don't know how well this would work but it would be better that one break. I used it on my race car and it works great. You would just have to dial it in to get you the right balance. If you ever we in a situation that you didn't want front brake you can just twist it all to the rear.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've seen it done on HD's. I think Gateway HD in StL set up a sporty where the hand brake operated both front and rear.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Irod, I think you could realy benifit from talking with Michael Mercury Morse of vintage brake. Don't be put off by the Brit and metric stuff on the web site. This guy is very very knowledgable about all kinds of brakes, leveragesa coumpounds etc. I have spoken with him on the phone and his knowledge is remarkable. http://www.vintagebrake.com/ jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Gold wings, much as I hate it, have the integrated brakes. The rear pedal operates the rear pads and one of the front ones. The lever operates the other pad on front.

If this could be transfered for operation I donot know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ViennaHog said:
First of all, I sorry to hear what happened to you. Second, I am going out on a limb here, but I'll do it anyway. If your bike has a single disk set up, you may consider putting a master cylinder for a dual disk system in. It features a larger cylinder bore thus increasing the pressure on the caliper pistons proportionally to the diameter increase of the master cylinder. This may help to overcome your limited grip strength. I am not aware of other downsides other than not letting anyone else grab a handful of front brake on your bike.

Others more inclined to mechanical issues hopefully chime in
Er Vienna, don't think that's right - a larger master cylinder diameter will drastically increase the lever effort required. Our friend needs a smaller one, although where he'll get it from I don't know. How about a second disk, worked from the rear brake line?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Willow said:
Er Vienna, don't think that's right - a larger master cylinder diameter will drastically increase the lever effort required. Our friend needs a smaller one, although where he'll get it from I don't know. How about a second disk, worked from the rear brake line?
This was one from the 'foot in my mouth' section, you are right on all counts. Sorry to spread nonsense.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts