V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a V&H ProPipe HS for my 1996 FXDL. Can any of you guys help me out on the jetting. V&H says I need to buy their jet kit $$$. I would prefer to do it myself, I think jet kits are way overpriced. I have a CV carb and stage I air cleaner with k&n filter, the engine is stock. I am considering a cam but that's not in the budget right now. Anyway does anyone have a similar setup? What jets should I put in to get me pretty close on the setup? I did a search but didn't find anything. Your help is greatly appriciated!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Since your motor is stock,I would think either a slo jet or a needle
change would be close.And drill out the plug covering the
air screw and adj that. should be an easy tune.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
95BadBoy said:
Since your motor is stock,I would think either a slo jet or a needle
change would be close.And drill out the plug covering the
air screw and adj that. should be an easy tune.
@gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree:
You might have to up the main jet one step. ie: if you have a 180, try a 185. Your dealer will have them, they're like 5 bucks each. If you have any carb work done, or a needle change, you can change the needle clip setting. I don't think you will have to change your mid range jet, but for ideal settings, a dyno Air/Fuel Ratio check will tell. It's all easy stuff.

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the bowl off last night and the main jet is a 170 and the pilot jet is a 42. I am not the first owner on this bike and with it being a 1996 I have no idea if these are the stock jets or not. I did order an 88 sporty needle for it, I have read that this needle has a better tapper to it than the stock one. What do you guys think? Thanks for the responses!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
How did the bike run before. What exh was on it ?
do you know anything at all about tuning a carb. No insult ment.
Try the needle first. Adj the screw. Start at 1 1/2 turns out.
and adj from there. What do the spark plugs look like?
I would pick up a 175 main and a 45 slo just in case.

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It ran pretty good before and the plugs looked good.The bike had cycle shack slashcut full exhaust on it. I was just wondering if anyone has a similar setup and knew what jets they were running. I have been reading on http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/index.htm today and it sounds like I am pretty close. With the new needle they show a 165 main and a 45 pilot. With good flowing pipes maybe a 170. I will get a 165 and a 45 and go from there. Thanks for the responses!!

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
When I installed a PP HS on my 2001 Night Train, I called Vance & Hines Tech Support and had a long conversation about installation.

Their recommendation for me was 185/45 jets with 3 1/2 turns out on the A/F.

I went with their recommendation.

Call them and see what they tell you for jetting. They were very helpful to me.

Bret

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would rather error on the rich side than be lean. Blue pipes look UGLY.
Try the 45 slo & needle change first. You mite want to get the S/E
adl ign module. It would be a good upgrade for you when dyno time
comes around.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
From what I understood with them...

If you keep the stock needle, go up to a 45 and one size larger then stock (175 if its a 170) for the main.

OR

If you change the needle, I think just leave the 45.

I have a 42 still, with a DJ kit that was installed before I got the bike using the 3rd clip down, DJ180 main jet, and all the other jazz they have you do to it. I start it, after about a minute or two of keeping it going with the throttle, I take off. Im running a little rich with that, since I havent found a dyno to tell me how the circuits are doing. One day I will.

I had a 170 stock jet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tibs, Move the clip to the 2nd notch from top.
Dynojet uses a diff calibration on their main jets
The Dj180 falls between a 167.5 & 170 mikuni jet
You also should adj the air screw.
Take it for a ride,check the plugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts