V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Draggin' Floorboards!
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the proper way to check the engine oil level in my '06 FatBoy?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
If it is like my king, you check it on the jiffy stand after the engine is warm. There are different markings for cold and warm checks, but the warm is most accurate. Your manual shows the markings and it also describes the orientation of the bike... level or on jiffy stand.

My dealer told me not to worry about it until 5,000 miles and just have it checked during service.... BS.... I was one of those with bad valve guide seals. I would have fried my engine... wonder who would have been stuck with that bill????

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
jpilone said:
Can anyone tell me the proper way to check the engine oil level in my '06 FatBoy?

Read your owner's manual. It's in there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
First, your engine needs to be warmed up to proper temp.! Then with the bike in the balanced possition make sure the level is up to the line on the dipstick! It should hold about 3 quarts with a filter change!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Pretty sure that HD has changed the oil dipstick on softails (beginning in 05, I think) that will let you check the oil level either upright (old method) or on the kickstand.

As someone else said, the owner's manual will tell you how.

·
TL
500 Posts
Softail Oil Check - 05 and beyond

After you have ridden the bike and it is completely warmed up, put the bike in neutral and let it idle for about 2 minutes straight up (not on jiffy stand). After you've let it idle for 2 minutes, shut her down and put her on the jiffy stand. Pull the dipstick, wipe it off, insert it back and pull her out. If the oil level is between the lower mark and high mark, you are good.

Cold checks are not reliable and not consistent. Softails from 05 and forward are checked on the jiffy stand.

TL

·
Premium Member
338 Posts

·
Draggin' Floorboards!
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys! I was worried I was doing it wrong! :thanks:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Make sure you get the manual, sit down and read it all the way through...and then read it again. My manual (1995 FXDWG) says ALWAYS check engine oil level with the bike on the kick stand. I think it's the same for all models...but read the book. Otherwise, how can you check your oil on a trip if you are alone?...kinda hard to hold the bike level and mess with a dipstick at the same time. (Servicing Primary and tranny?....always with bike level)

Okay.....hope that was clear as mud for ya. Main thing...get the manual.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
13 Posts
oil change

Everyone has said everything different.
Hope that helps.
1. check the manual
2. check it warm
3. check it on the stand
4. check it off the stand

do like I did and have your dealer change the oil; then when the bike shuts off because the dealer was a quart low you can scream bloody murder like i did.

Yes it ticks now.

Fill it to the top line cold / warm or in between.

Don't ever be a dealer and leave it low!

Melbourne Florida Harley ... We put it on...it falls off!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
When you get right down to it on a softail, it really doesn't matter. If you can see the oil in the tank and it's close to the filler neck, it's OK. No rocket science involved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts