V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually keep all parts in proper order as I remove them but this time I had to move some stuff in my shop and I'm not sure my primary chain has been moved around. Does the chain have to be put back just like it was or will it be fine if the side that was facing in is now facing out.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't think it's matters. Is it original, like the clutch? Do you even know? Can you identify any uneven wear? Like, do you remember if there were any tight spots when it was properly adjusted? How do the teeth on the compensator and clutch basket look? Is the adjuster the same stock self adjuster? I know when I tried upgrading to one of those new style automatic adjusters it was just too tight for my taste. If you can't disqualify it for any of the usual reasons, it should be OK.

If it bothers you, nothing says you can't put in a new one. Even brand new from the dealership only costs about $70. Could be worth it for peace of mind. Or just put the old one in and only worry about it if and when it causes some kind of problem.

HD came up with a new bagger primary chain for 07. Before that, the old one had like a --79A part number. My Dyna uses one with a -36B number. They are pretty tough as long as you aren't putting out some crazy HP. Mine is a little over 100 HP/TQ and no problems for the 12 years I've had it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just gonna put it back .I just wanted to run it by you guys. Everything looks good in the primary. No major wear. My trips are short. Not as young as I used to be.I just like my bike ready to go when i am, no surprises. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I don't see it being a problem unless it is worn

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lesson to be learned here. Take pictures before you take things apart. Since I started doing that it works out great for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts