V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to what break-in procedure you follow, particularly those of you who build engines. I read a very recent article in a M/C mag suggesting you NOT baby it for 500 or 600 miles. Rather, run it fairly hard to ensure the rings seat. Only real important think to watch is heat, i.e. don,t run it real hot early on. The article also says 1) new engines are run flat out by the factory for a limited time before installation, and 2) the factory break in period is more for safety issues (i.e. loose bolts, brakes, adjustments, etal) rather than for the engine.

A good friend of mine, who builds porsche engines (also air/oil cooled) says the same thing re: his engines, but refrains from theorizing about Harly engines. He just like to change oil real soon (few hundred miles w/o synthetic, then synthetic).

Just dropped my king off for a stage 2 big bore kit, guess how miles I want to take it easy for?

greg

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Lets see........ I paid 19+ for my bike, extended the warranty for another $840, paid $250 for the first 10K oil change, $600 for the next 4 oil changes................... Fu(k the break-in procedure!:Dennis

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dennis, I suspect my post was unclear. The advice I get (from some) is that babying it for 5-600 miles may not be good for it, may impact the rings seating and may affect long term performmance. At best, it may do nothing (again, what I have heard).

greg

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Personally I feel how you heat cycle the engine is more important.

When we build expensive engines we run them for 30 seconds at fast idle, let them fully cool down, 30 seconds say at 2000, let them cool down, and so on, upping the time span and rpm a couple of times.
Then we ride them. We try not to hit redline repeatedly for 100 miles or so and then we change the oil.

Stock engines including the little stage engines just ride them but change the oil after 200 and 500 miles or so. I always have had better results riding them on the hard side since day one, but you want to warm them up and cool them down slow, ie don't go on the interstate and run it at 90 inmediately after startup and don't shut it down if you just have done so.

The reason you run in different engines in different ways is that they are built with different clearances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts