V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Put my new intake on, (RamJett one piece).

I wanted to double check to see if that corrected my intermittent leak. The bottom of the manifold seems a bit less compressed (gasket) then the top. This manifold uses regular gaskets, not rubber.

I usually direct bottled propane toward the manifold to check for leakes, but it only works for larger leaks. I do not want to spray WD all over my motor.

Anybody use water? I would imagine water sucked into the manifold would cause a change in engine speed?

Basically looking for other less messy alternatives for minor leaks.

·
Banned
871 Posts
rickr01 said:
Hey folks,

Put my new intake on, (RamJett one piece).

I wanted to double check to see if that corrected my intermittent leak. The bottom of the manifold seems a bit less compressed (gasket) then the top. This manifold uses regular gaskets, not rubber.

I usually direct bottled propane toward the manifold to check for leakes, but it only works for larger leaks. I do not want to spray WD all over my motor.

Anybody use water? I would imagine water sucked into the manifold would cause a change in engine speed?

Basically looking for other less messy alternatives for minor leaks.
WD40 is the best (and safest) method that will work. Are you really that worried about getting a little bit of it on your bike? I take it you're one of those guys who spends more time cleaning than riding... :laugh: :laugh: Hehe... Just messing with ya! No offense meant. :cheers: Seriously, the WD40 won't hurt your bike and will wash off easily with soap and water, or even a clean, dry rag. It will also help prevent corrosion. I spray it on the bottom of my engine and frame to help keep the rust at bay in the winter. I also spray it on hardware and hard to get places AFTER washing the bike. It's clear, so it's barely noticable. No big deal.... :)

Propane.... personally, I would NEVER use that stuff around a hot engine. It's much too flammable! If some of it gets near a stray spark from the plug wires, or gets too close to the very hot headpipe, the can could EXPLODE! It's akin to pouring gasoline into a lawnmower while it's hot... NOT a good idea if you want to live a long, happy life. Is the risk worth it just to keep your engine nice and shiny? Not for me, it isn't. :) WD has always worked great for me, but many people mistakenly think that it will increase rpm if there's a leak. In most cases, the rpm will drop, since WD has a MUCH higher flash point than gasoline.

I imagine water will work on large leaks, but not small ones. If anything, it might INCREASE rpm in small amounts. Ever hear of "water injection" on engines? The water cools the air coming in, thus increasing density. This will allow more fuel to burn, increasing power. Older jet engines used this to increase thrust. One particular type of engine would "burn" over 100 gallons of water in 3 minutes, fuel flow would increase by about 30%, and thrust would almost double. I know they tried this on a few cars years ago, but it wasn't worth the cost or effort for the minimal gains on a V8.

That's my 2 cents.... -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhh Ok you have shamed me into taking her for my semi annual ride! :laugh:

Seriously, the propane trick I learned from a local wrench who says it will detect even the slightest leak. He does Dyno tuning and says the tiniest change in RPM using propane enables him to perfect his tuning???

I've used it with good success on major leaks and only for seconds at a time, all it takes.

I see your point however. I think I'll just wait and ride it which could be awhile here...Snow Snow and More Snow! We are getting what we didn't get in December!

It starts up good and whacks on the throttle don't indicate any stumble. I was also able to shut down the enrichner pretty quick within less then three minutes of using it and keep her idling.

I guess the proof is in the ride... :chopper:

·
Banned
871 Posts
rickr01 said:
Ahhhh Ok you have shamed me into taking her for my semi annual ride! :laugh:

Seriously, the propane trick I learned from a local wrench who says it will detect even the slightest leak. He does Dyno tuning and says the tiniest change in RPM using propane enables him to perfect his tuning???

I've used it with good success on major leaks and only for seconds at a time, all it takes.

I see your point however. I think I'll just wait and ride it which could be awhile here...Snow Snow and More Snow! We are getting what we didn't get in December!

It starts up good and whacks on the throttle don't indicate any stumble. I was also able to shut down the enrichner pretty quick within less then three minutes of using it and keep her idling.

I guess the proof is in the ride... :chopper:
Yes, every tuner has his own methods... :)

From what I've heard about that intake, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ToddM said:
Yes, every tuner has his own methods... :)

From what I've heard about that intake, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I've heard the same Todd, we shall see!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts