V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been researching the Progressive 440's for a while now because I don't want to get burned again. On my last bike I put a set of Progressive Air Tails on and the ride was horrible but just about everyone on this site and others said they were far superior than the stock shocks. I had em on for a week , tried every different kind of air setting and couldn't wait to take em off. I just figured that maybe the people who said they were so great didn't want to admit they made a mistake after shelling out $1300 bucks. Now I have an 06 Street Glide and every one is saying that the Progressive 440'ds are the way to go. I was on another site today and a bunch of the guys there said that they thought that they weren't all that great and a few of the guys said they made a clanking sound after rebounding from larges bumps and pot holes and they had a very hard ride. A few said they liked em. Please I'm not degrading anyone in this site and I've gotten LOTS of helpful tips here but it's hard to believe that everyone here says that they are great......Nobody dislikes them? Am I just paranoid after my last(very expensive) experience?

·
Registered
210 Posts
progressive 440????????

I have been thinking the same thing I have a E-G .Your shocks are shorter so your ride won't be as good see if you could let me know what you think
Good luck!

·
Registered
769 Posts
my personal view on glide shocks are that most people dont spend the time to make sure they are set at the proper air pressure for the load on the bike .... mine have 54k on them ,,,, they dont hold air quite as long as they used to ... but when i pump them up to the proper pressure the ride is as good as it was when the bike was new ,, they dont leak oil ....... so i am going to just keep on running them...... if it aint broke dont fix it ,,, they run about 1000 miles between getting the little hand pump out .....rat

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've ridden the Electra Glide standard and the the Classic quite a few times and the ride is defiantly smoother than my Street Glide. I think I might be better off just swaping out my 12" shocks and installing the 13's....At least I know what they ride like and I like them. I would like to see a Street glide with them on first to see what the bike looks like a little higher.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I never even gave a thought to changing the shocks on mine. Then I installed them on a friends bike. His stockers were leaking air and he was tired of filling them up every 2 days and did not even think about fixing them. He told me to get him regular coil overs like a dyna. I got the 440's and he was very happy with the results. THey do take a little bit of time to find the right setting, but no big deal. I would highley suggest finding a friend with them and asking to rie his bike. Thats what sold me on them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
TXCHOP said:
I never even gave a thought to changing the shocks on mine. Then I installed them on a friends bike. His stockers were leaking air and he was tired of filling them up every 2 days and did not even think about fixing them. He told me to get him regular coil overs like a dyna. I got the 440's and he was very happy with the results. THey do take a little bit of time to find the right setting, but no big deal. I would highley suggest finding a friend with them and asking to rie his bike. Thats what sold me on them.

I dont think i would fix mine either ,, i would just keep my eye out for a brand new take off set that came off a bike that some guy wanted to lower......think HD dividend ,, not harley tax ..... take off parts are great..... to the owner that just took them off they are worthless ... to a guy who rides a stock bike ,,, its the best HD dividend you will find.....rat

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have had the 440s on for almost 2 years now. I think they are far better then stock. It took me some time to get them dialed in but now they are perfect for me. I would do it again. I do have the 12" HD springs on mine BTW. Stock for my bike is 13".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Works Performance

I have an 04 FLHRS and bought a set of Works Performance shocks, which works extremely well. When I bought my 06 FLHX in August, I wanted to get rid of the horrible stock air shock, so I've heard alot of good things about the Progressive 440's, so I order a set and gave them a try. After comparing the Works Performance and the 440's, it's my opinion that the Works are superior in every way. The 440's have the standard spring and I feel like there still to stiff, with the spring collar adjusted to soft. It's hard to judge compression and rebound also. The Works Performance is smoother thru out it's travel and when it does bottom it doesn't clank because of the rubber bumper cone. When I cross rail road tracks at speed the 440's would bounce me in the air, where as the works does not. I am going to sell these 440's and go back to works. The only negative about the Works shocks, is that they custom make them for your bike, rider weight, and riding style and the last time I ordered them it took 6 weeks to get.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting Maico, I've heard good things about Works and I've been to their web site a few times but have never called them. Hows their price compared to Progressive? Please keep us posted after you install them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
reg26

I currently have the Works shocks on my FLHRS, which has the same suspension set up as my Street Glide. I feel that they are far superior to the progressive's that are currently on my FLHX. As far as price,Works makes a couple of different models based on spring adjustability and estedics. The set that I ordered was in the $350. price range with the adjustable lever on the collar. They're pretty close in price to the 440's. You can order directly from Works but there are alot of different companies that can sell at a discount, it's the turn around time frame that I don't like.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking of going with a 13 inch shock for a better ride. Do you have 13's or did you go with the stock 12 inch? Also allot of guys said that the progressives were good but it took a while to find the right adjustment for them. Did you find the same thing with the Works?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Profressives

I have a pair of 12" 440's on my FLTR. They are comparable to stock while riding straight but where the Progressives excel are on long turning embankments, such as a freeway on/off ramp. They get ride of that side to side "swim" that the stocks are known for.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
My experience with 440's on my EG
I have the set with heavy duty springs for two up and loaded.
Getting the right spring preload takes a little time to figure out.
When setup to ride smooth on the hyway, they do bottom on big bumps and clunk.
When setup not to bottom on big bumps they ride a little stiff on the hyway.
I set them in between these two settings.
When I am 1 up, since the springs are the heavy duty, they clunk when they top out on pot holes and ride stiff even on the lowest spring setting.
Overall I like the ride better than the air shocks which I though were stiff even when setup for hyway riding and a few bottom outs on large bumps.
Since they only have a spring preload adjustment, no damping adjustment, they are a compromise shock similar to the stock air adjustable shocks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
reg26

I ordered the 12" shock for the stock ride height, as I am vertically challanged. Works will tell you that the 13" shock will give an inch more travel and a better ride, but I feel the shorter shock changes the rake on the FLH models and allows them to track better at speed. As far as shock setup goes, Works will valve them to your weight and bike weight and riding style. They will also revalve for free, during the first 30 days, I believe.
With the 440's I have on the FLHX, I have the 12" shock with the std. spring, but feel they're to stiff for me with the spring adjusted full soft and they don't absorb bumps or holes as smooth as the works does. And I'm not sure, how or why, but with the Works shocks on, the back end doesn't wiggle as much as the stock or 440's on the freeway rain grooves.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your help Maico!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts