V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided that I can't put up with the bottoming gout clunk of my OEM springs any more on the back.

This is an 04 883 XL with the bigger 4.5 gallon tank and a 1200 kit.

I am about 210 lbs, my pillion is about 130. But I do ride solo with panniers and far bag when on a trip.

I got fed up with the OEM springs being too soft, so i stripped them and made a collar under the 4 position adjuster. So the usuals position 2 is actually position 4..and when i ride 2 up I crank it up to '5'

Front end always sagged too much too and the tool roll under the headlight always dragged/ bounced not eh front fender. SO I opened up the top of the forks and turned down on the lathe some 2 inch plugs to fit on top of the springs to lift the front end a bit.

So now I have some cash to spare and was thinking of the Progressive Cartridge units to go in the forks...but what about the rear?
Guessing with my weigh I'd go for the HD springs...but which units..

The 444 series or the much more expensive 990's with the external reservoirs?

Since I ride some times solo with no bags or panniers..so just me at 210 lbs.. or two up with the touring panniers on ..210 + 130 + probably 30 lbs of baggage...so 370lbs +

430's 444's or the much more expensive 990's...? I am confused...

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
169 Posts
J&P Cycles. Talk with one of there online tech's and tell them what your looking for and find out what you need, then and shop around for the lowest price.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually bought the 444's and Monotube units
They arrived last week. Took about 2 weeks from the USA to UK to arrive, quite happy with that.

TBH, now they are fitted...is there a difference..hmm not sure..but not sure what difference i was expecting. Certainly not the night and day difference that some people talk about when upgrading shocks.

Maybe my sedate riding style means I am not going to see a difference.

Glad i went for eh mid price 444's rather than the cheaper ones, or the $1000 990. If I had got the cheaper ones I'd now be wondering if I should have bought the better ones . Suppose if I had bought the 990's I'd now have more knobs and setting screws to fiddle with ! ;)...and still disappointed that I'd not know the difference :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
J&P Cycles. Talk with one of there online tech's and tell them what your looking for and find out what you need, then and shop around for the lowest price.
That's kind of a jerk move. You've taken their time to explain things to you, the least you can do is pay for that time and buy the item from them. If everyone did this, there would be no one to contact with questions because no one would be willing to spend the time (salaries cost money), it would purely be shipping and receiving with maybe a few returns to process, just like the rock bottom price places. In general, J&P still has some of the lowest prices on aftermarket stuff, Dennis Kirk is also in there and both have some limited tech. assistance available for questions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's kind of a jerk move. You've taken their time to explain things to you, the least you can do is pay for that time and buy the item from them. If everyone did this, there would be no one to contact with questions because no one would be willing to spend the time (salaries cost money), it would purely be shipping and receiving with maybe a few returns to process, just like the rock bottom price places. In general, J&P still has some of the lowest prices on aftermarket stuff, Dennis Kirk is also in there and both have some limited tech. assistance available for questions.
I was misunderstood in my statement, obviously. I have bought several pipes from them after talking with thier techs. Thought I wanted one thing, and they steered me in the right direction and I got them there. Bought pipes elsewhere thinking I knew what I wanted and regretted it. I'll be sure to be more clear in the next reply that I post.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I was misunderstood in my statement, obviously. I have bought several pipes from them after talking with thier techs. Thought I wanted one thing, and they steered me in the right direction and I got them there. Bought pipes elsewhere thinking I knew what I wanted and regretted it. I'll be sure to be more clear in the next reply that I post.
Well that is impossible. It is hard to convey every thought on a forum when trying to explain a problem. If we were all sitting around a campfire drinking it would be easier.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just back from a trip to the mainland..where I can get out of third gear and above 40 mph for more than 200 yards :) Where I live we have 40 mh speed linmit (the island of Jersey (12 miles by 6)

Now I have been able to get the bike up to a bit more speed I can say that yes, the Progressives have made a difference.

on local low speed riding, no real difference could I find, but bike seems more stable at higway speeds

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I've had the 444's for several years myself. At first I wasn't impressed, but after playing with the adjustment, I eventually became satisfied. I went a little softer than recommended as I recall.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had them set at 2 lines, then zero. Went back to 2 lines when I went to England with full panniers... your post reminds me I need to soften them up again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts