V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 RK Custom and want to replace the stock shocks. What length progressive shock do I get to keep the stock ride of the RK Custom?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
stock shock

I think it is 13" I put on the H-D lower air shocks and if I remember they are 12" try 13"

or just messure yours stud to stud

good luck i think the progressive 440 would be a good choice
 

·
banal
Joined
·
486 Posts
No, the RK Custom would be 12". The RK Std and Classic are 13". I put the 12.5" on my Std and absolutely love them. One of my best upgrades.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
723 Posts
What is it about them that you love the most?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
HDC, I also have a 04 custom and have put the 12" 440's as same size as stock, but changed out to 11.5 412's for a lower drop in height.

Randy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
996 Posts
I ride an 04 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide and went from the stock 11" air shocks (which is a rough ride on the SEEG) to the 11" Progressive 440 Heavy Duty and I am not impressed. If I had it to do over again, I'd keep that money and buy something useful.
 

·
banal
Joined
·
486 Posts
Bumps in the road that used to jar my bike, body and spine real bad are now just a smooth ride over. On my ride home from work there were sections in the road I used to steer all around potholes, but now I just plow right through them. My 12.5" shocks are the standard duty, not the heavy duty, which was recommended by the Progressive specialist over the phone based on my weight and usual load. Possibly those dissatisfied got shorter travel and heavy duty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
JCZ said:
I ride an 04 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide and went from the stock 11" air shocks (which is a rough ride on the SEEG) to the 11" Progressive 440 Heavy Duty and I am not impressed. If I had it to do over again, I'd keep that money and buy something useful.
I thought the SE EG has 12" shocks stock. I'm not even sure H-D makes air shocks in 11".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
267 Posts
rmhalmaint said:
HDC, I also have a 04 custom and have put the 12" 440's as same size as stock, but changed out to 11.5 412's for a lower drop in height.

Randy
How do you find the difference?

I've got 440 12" shocks on the Road KIng and they are much better than stock, but I;ve never been sure whtehr I spent more than I need to :)

Cheers

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Michael Benis said:
How do you find the difference?

I've got 440 12" shocks on the Road KIng and they are much better than stock, but I;ve never been sure whtehr I spent more than I need to :)

Cheers

Mike
That's why I bought the 412's and I'm happy with my choice. If I can just get buddy to put fluids back in his bike and get out and ride, I'll compare to the 440's. He drained the fluids when he pulled into his garage after our return trip from Sturgis. Sheesh!
 

·
Another Old Fart
Joined
·
241 Posts
Just put 440's standard duty on my Ultra and I am very happy with them.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
606 Posts
Stupid question time............

What is the difference between the 440's, 412's and the 418's?

Looking at both price and performance.

I am 5'5" and weigh 165# and will be doing 95% solo riding. The other 5% will be with my GF who is 5'9" and about 150# or so she tells me.
 

·
Just Like to Ride
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
BB06FLHX said:
I am 5'5" and weigh 165# and will be doing 95% solo riding. The other 5% will be with my GF who is 5'9" and about 150# or so she tells me.
Don't even question her on that. Take her word for it. :whistle:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
996 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I thought the SE EG has 12" shocks stock. I'm not even sure H-D makes air shocks in 11".

Good catch......I stand to be corrected (not sure what the hell I was thinking when I put 11".......that would be a really rough ride. My air shocks were 12" and my Progressives 440 Heavy Duty (based on what the rep at Progressive told me inconsideration of 220 lbs. and a touring bike that usually has a passenger) are also 12". So, in both cases, yes, we have one inch less travel than an Electra Glide or Ultra Classic.

My air shocks, with 35 or 40 lbs. of air, were more cush than these 440's with their rebound clunk every time I hit a hole. Just a very rough ride for the money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
473 Posts
JCZ said:
Good catch......I stand to be corrected (not sure what the hell I was thinking when I put 11".......that would be a really rough ride. My air shocks were 12" and my Progressives 440 Heavy Duty (based on what the rep at Progressive told me inconsideration of 220 lbs. and a touring bike that usually has a passenger) are also 12". So, in both cases, yes, we have one inch less travel than an Electra Glide or Ultra Classic.

My air shocks, with 35 or 40 lbs. of air, were more cush than these 440's with their rebound clunk every time I hit a hole. Just a very rough ride for the money.
What setting are you using?
If I read right there are 4 settings.
Is 1 the lightest and 4 the stiffest?
If so were are you and were have you tried?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
996 Posts
Eddy G said:
What setting are you using?
If I read right there are 4 settings.
Is 1 the lightest and 4 the stiffest?
If so were are you and were have you tried?

I've run them up and down and it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. One thing I have noticed thow.......my 440s are a lot harder to turn then some of the guys that I ride with. Not sure why that is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
473 Posts
Maybe you have a bum set of shocks?

I just put mine on the bike and they turn up and down fairly smoothly.

They are set on the softest setting right now but I'm sure I'll have to adjust them to fine tune the ride.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top