V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dangerously close to purchasing an 06 Ultra Classic. Being vertically challanged I want to lower the bike. The dealer (or stealer as they are called on here and I see why) tells me the if I install the Progessive shocks instead of the HD Proflie shocks it will void the warranty. Is this true or do I need to look for another dealer.

TIA

Russ In Texas

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Look for another dealer... Installing aftermarket parts does not void your warranty. If the shocks cause something to fail (like your frame bending) then that repair will not be covered... but that also doesn't mean your warranty is void. Its just not going to cover that repair... check out a bunch of my posts on the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act". Enjoy...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Run as fast as you can away from that dealer. What the hell kind of warranty part can shocks hurt? AND, H-D makes low profile shocks for your bike so what is the difference. Sounds like that dealer likes to hassle instead of help their customers.

Buy the bike and order a set of Progressive shocks from one of the many online dealers and install them yourself. It has to be the easiest part on the motorcycle to replace. Don't disconnect the lines on your air shocks. There is oil in them and you don't want to lose any. If you do remove the lines, keep the shocks upright. Remove them one at a time and replace with the new shocks. If the new shocks are shorter, you might need someone to put some weight on the rear of the bike to compress the stock shock an inch so you can get the first shorter shock on. Very simple process.

Then, IF, you ever have a warranty issue related to the rear suspension, put your original shocks on and take it to the dealer. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. But like others said, they have to PROVE your shocks cause the problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Look for a new dealer. If voids the warranty I'd be shocked. :D

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies

Thats what I kind of figured. Alot of things have changed since I sold my last one about 15 years ago so you never know. I'm still adjusting to the fact that not a bike in the line up has a kicker. My last one was a 92" rigid shovel that I built myself including engine and tranny work so installing parts is not a big deal for me. Cherry bike but I sold it to buy an airplane. Now the bug has bit again and I am going to bite the bullet and buy an Ultra (I'm alittle too old for a rigid). It will be the second new Harley I have bought in my lifetime. The first was in 1981 and it was an FXEF Fat Bob Superglide at a healthy $5000. Ahhh for the good old days!!

Thanks again

Russ In Texas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts