V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got the springs for my 2004 XL 1200 custom and they come with a PVC pipe that is about 3 inches long for preload adjustments. does anyone know if these need to be custom cut to a shorter length? the instructions are vague.

thanks, jay

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
crudstud said:
i just got the springs for my 2004 XL 1200 custom and they come with a PVC pipe that is about 3 inches long for pre-load adjustments. does anyone know if these need to be custom cut to a shorter length? the instructions are vague. .... thanks, jay
The link below is to a Works Performance Suspension FAQ site. WP's fork spring set-up is dual rate (two springs) unlike your Progressive spring, but both spring manufacturers use PVC spacers to fine tune the front forks.

Page 3 of this WP FAQ contains information on how to determine the correct spring pre-load specifically for YOU. This will involve measuring your bike's "sag". The FAQ gives specific (simple) instructions on measuring "sag".

The objective is to cut the PVC spacer the proper length so that the "sag" is proper for YOU. This will take some trial-and-error so some extra PVC tubing may be needed.

I hope the Works Performance FAQ will throw some light on your Progressive instructions.

http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/instructions/fork_instr.pdf

BTW be sure to make straight, parallel cuts when making the PVC spacers. Try to cut the spacers equal length.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your progressive spring is a variable rate spring. The first inch of compression is 17lbs, the next inch is 20, and so on( Progressive Rate) .The PVC can be cut to length using the following.
Install the springs into the tubes. Mount the tubes into the trees and hand tighten the clamp. Place the pvc tube and washer on top of the spring. Place your top nut onto the pvc and measure the distance from the bottom of the head of the top nut to the top of the fork TUBE. This should be around 3/4" (Preload).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts