V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to change out the stock 12" air shocks on my Street Glide and go with the 440's from Progressive. Was looking for a little help in deciding between the 12" or gong a half-inch higher to 12.5 for a bit more travel. Would the added travel be worth loosing some of the lowered look of the bike in the rear end? Progressive rep told me the travel is about 2/10ths of an inch between the two, I thought it would be 1/2" but I guess not. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks...............

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
gliderman said:
Decided to change out the stock 12" air shocks on my Street Glide and go with the 440's from Progressive. Was looking for a little help in deciding between the 12" or gong a half-inch higher to 12.5 for a bit more travel. Would the added travel be worth loosing some of the lowered look of the bike in the rear end? Progressive rep told me the travel is about 2/10ths of an inch between the two, I thought it would be 1/2" but I guess not. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks...............
2/10's of a inch, not sure that would matter. How much do you weigh? Do you ride 2-up a lot and/or will be doing long rides with passengers and/or luggage?

I just put Progressive 12" 412's on my RKC. I'm going from 13" to 12". Haven't ridden the bike yet but I hope the ride isn't too harsh. I ride 80% to 90% solo. I weigh 215 so I got the Heavy Duty shocks. I never had a problem with the air shocks but wanted to lower the bike. Wanted the 440's but I read so many good posts about the 412's, the price ($180) looked a lot more attractive.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
My SEEG also has the 12" shocks. If I were to put on the Progressive 440's, I would go to the 12.5".. A couple of people have put on the 12.5" and they could not tell by looks or seat of the pance of that .5".. I am still playing around with air pressures on my shocks. Of the people I have spoke with about Progressive's they said if they rode 1 up all of the time they would have stayed with the HD air, a lot better ride 2 up with the Progressive's..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I keep getting opposite views on the ride quality after switching to 440's. Some have said great improvement and others have not noticed any difference. At $400 plus dollars, a noticable improvement should be felt.....

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I changed out my air shocks on my SEEG to the 12" Heavy Duty 440's. The ride was noticably better. Much more stable in the turns and a better ride when you hit bumps. I weight about 200 and ride solo most of the time. If I were to buy them again I would go with the stardard springs.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have the 12" standard springs on my '03 EGC. I ride solo most of the time. When I have a pax, I put a turn onto the spring collar. IMHO, you can NOT beat the 440's for ride and comfort. I ride on some pretty sh1tty roads here in NJ, and the IAS does what it's supposed to. I also have the ft. end lowered using HD's kit. The bike handles great, and is super stable in sweepers. BTW, I did have the air low profile shocks by HD on for quite a while. THEY SUCK!! Thought I blew out my spine a couple of times. Sure the bike looks good, but doesn't do you any good when you're looking at it from your wheel chair!! Go with the 440's. I weigh 190 and the standards are fine for me. You have to play with the spring tension. My opinion is some guys do not have enough preload on the springs. That's what keeps you from bottoming out. Doesn't really affect ride height.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I got 12" on my Ultra and with me going 225 and my 21 Y/O son on the back at about 300 we never had a problem doing the twisty mountain roads around Prescott,AZ I would say go for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.K. Gents, thanks for the replys. I think I will go with the 12"ers. Sounds like the added 1/2 inch isn't real necessary.............

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Since we are talking about the Progressive 440 shocks I have a question. I have a 05 RK STANDARD and had the stealer put on the shorter HD shocks along with the lowered front end. I really like the height of the bike. I have read so much positive about the progressive 440 that I am comsidering changing. So the question is what length shock would be equal to the shorter HD shock?

Lane

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I tried the 12" on my King. Ride was too harsh for Connie. I put the stock ones back.

Will sell the 12' FOR half price if you are interested.

greg

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
gbenner said:
I tried the 12" on my King. Ride was too harsh for Connie. I put the stock ones back.

Are you talking about the 12" Harley shocks??

I installed 12" standard spring Progressive 440 shocks on a buddy's 05 Ultra last Summer & he thought it improved the ride quite noticeably.

~John

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
jmorton10 said:
Are you talking about the 12" Harley shocks??

I installed 12" standard spring Progressive 440 shocks on a buddy's 05 Ultra last Summer & he thought it improved the ride quite noticeably.

~John
John, I replied to your question on the other thread as well. I am referring to the Progresive 440 IAS ahocks.

I realize some really like them. Progressive actually replaced the 12" with 12 1/5" which were better. If it were just me riding, I would have kept them, as I liked the lowered part. I put new factory shocks on last month, will keep them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, you do not have to lower the front with 12" on the back. The Street Glide and RK Custom come this way from the factory............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts