V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about ordering Progressive 440's for my Streetglide. I was originally going to order 12.5" 440's but was curious if the 13" 440's with a lowering kit would ride better. If I don't order these shocks soon, I'll have to get a kidney belt for riding my bike.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
hedgehog1,
You might want to confirm this, but I don't think the lowering kits will work with those shocks because of the "bell" on the bottom of the shock. If I'm not mistaking, it will come into contact with the lowering bracket that bolts to the swing arm.

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Street glides come with the same shock as the RK Custom 12".........Ward

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that they come with a 12" like the RKC but I want a little longer just to make sure the ride is what is expected of a touring bike.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I put 12" 440's on my Ultra Glide and have rode with myself at 250# and my son at about 300# with no problems ...so if i were you I would not go with the longer shock..but that decision is strictly up to you.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
ShakyJake said:
I put 12" 440's on my Ultra Glide and have rode with myself at 250# and my son at about 300# with no problems ...so if i were you I would not go with the longer shock..but that decision is strictly up to you.
ShakyJake, can I ask if you got the HD springs or the standard? I'm the same weight as you so I'm real interested. I was gonna go 12.5", but not if the 12" ride well. Also, how many turns on the shock do you go with for solo and 2up riding? Thanks!
Jerry

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Jerry L said:
ShakyJake, can I ask if you got the HD springs or the standard? I'm the same weight as you so I'm real interested. I was gonna go 12.5", but not if the 12" ride well. Also, how many turns on the shock do you go with for solo and 2up riding? Thanks!
Jerry
If you weigh 250 or so get the HD springs...That's my situation and I love the way they ride...solo @ softest without bags or gear and when I go two up I usually crank them up to the first line...it takes some turns to get there but once you see the lines it all falls into place...easy adjustments too (no tool).

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
hedgehog1 said:
I know that they come with a 12" like the RKC but I want a little longer just to make sure the ride is what is expected of a touring bike.
Buy a lowering kit and a pair of 13" factory take-offs.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
sjpr13 said:
If you weigh 250 or so get the HD springs...That's my situation and I love the way they ride...solo @ softest without bags or gear and when I go two up I usually crank them up to the first line...it takes some turns to get there but once you see the lines it all falls into place...easy adjustments too (no tool).
Thanks for the info, sjpr13. I would have thought the 12" would have been too rough. Thanks!
Jerry

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I got the Heavy duty shocks and I ride with them adjusted to the first line when I ride solo...when the O/L is on the back I go to about 2 or 2 1/2, lines, now when I had my son on the back I went a full 3 but there was still room to adjust if need be. I swear by them like I said I rode the twisties with me at 250 and my son at 300 and had no problems.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I was thinking about getting the 440's until I got my street glide and aired the shocks up to about 20lbs of air and I think they ride good. They definitly ride better than my old bikes shocks. Maybe I should check out the 440's cause that must be like riding in a Cadillac.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
ShakyJake said:
I got the Heavy duty shocks and I ride with them adjusted to the first line when I ride solo...when the O/L is on the back I go to about 2 or 2 1/2, lines, now when I had my son on the back I went a full 3 but there was still room to adjust if need be. I swear by them like I said I rode the twisties with me at 250 and my son at 300 and had no problems.
Thanks for the info ShakyJake. I would bet that the roads are somewhat better in CA than in MI. LOL. I was worried that the 12" shocks would not have enough travel and was gonna go with the 12.5". If the 12" are good enough for you, they are for me too! I love the way the bike looks with the shorter shocks, so now I know what to do. Thanks!
Jerry

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The roads I am talking about riding on with my son on the back were Mountain roads in Arizona, and they were well worn.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I'm about to order these shocks for my 06 Streetglide but one more question, what finish do you guys recommend. I know chrome looks nice but can you really see them. I know black powdercoat is maintenance free, but does it chip off and rust?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I put the chrome on my Ultra ...but I have not seen them since due to the saddle bags. I would say go with whatever makes you happy.

·
Harley Fanatic
1,058 Posts
ShakyJake said:
The roads I am talking about riding on with my son on the back were Mountain roads in Arizona, and they were well worn.
Thanks, Jake. Guess I know what to get now. I'm kinda in a hold pattern as far as shocks right now, just bought a wider wheel to get a 180 tire on the dresser, so the shocks might have to way til next year. Got alot of stuff planned right now, and still trying to find a way to tell the wife! Thanks again.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Hedgehog,
Get whatever ones are the least expensive. You aren't going to see them anyway beacuse of the bags and the filler panels.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Hedgehog,
Get whatever ones are the least expensive. You aren't going to see them anyway beacuse of the bags and the filler panels.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I'm gonna order 12.5" 440HD's tomorrow. My final question is were should I get them? I was thinking either gopartsdirect or wally's cycle world. Which would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
hedgehog1 said:
OK, I'm gonna order 12.5" 440HD's tomorrow. My final question is were should I get them? I was thinking either gopartsdirect or wally's cycle world. Which would you guys recommend?
I picked up mine from Wally's and the service was great. Fast shipping.
I went with the 12" HDs and they are great compared to the stockers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts