V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering the install of Progressive 413 adjustable shocks for my 04' Deuce. These shocks have an adjustment range of 2" lower than standard ride height. Is anyone familiar with these shocks in regard to ride quality and installation difficulties?

·
Banned
128 Posts
If you have basic mechanical skills, then install will be easy. THey are better than stock shocks for damn sure. I run them. Happy with the improved ride and handling.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just installed a set yesterday on my 04 Deuce. Purchased brand new on eBay for $349.00. Installation is relatively easy if you have a lift. However, for the life of me I can't figure out how they expect you torque the non-flanged nuts (used to set height to factory specs) - Can't seem to get at them with a torque wrench, crows foot, etc... Anyway, hand tightened them just fine and road all day long. Lowered the bike 1 1/2 inches and it looks so much better!! Love the Deuce, but never liked the stock height of the rear fender - Kinda looks like a dirt bike ;) Anyway, like I said, it looks so much better now! As far as the ride goes, I'm 210lbs and found that maximum preload on the 413's works best for me. Bike rides exceptionally well considering it's lowered 1 1/2 inches.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks pretty straight forward, but I do not have a lift and my torque wrench only goes to 80 or 100 ft lbs (forget), not the 115-130 as required for the shock mounting bolts. It might be less costly to have the stealer install these rather than buying the tools needed since in all likelihood I will not need a lift as well as a torque wrench for above 100 ft lbs. I've seen a couple Deuce's lowered 1" - 2" and I agree they look much better than stock. I glad to hear the ride is better, since I was really unsure how lowering the bike up to 2" would affect it.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having read many of the threads regarding Progressive 413 shocks for a softail, it seems that many feel they are too soft - even when adjusted to max. preload. Any other shocks worth consideration? I'm NOT looking to go with an air ride set up. I want simple, no leaking valves, no air pump hardware etc... Does anyone have knowledge of Works, Essex or Ohlins adjustable shocks for softails?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
SFTL-1 said:
Having read many of the threads regarding Progressive 413 shocks for a softail, it seems that many feel they are too soft - even when adjusted to max. preload. Any other shocks worth consideration? I'm NOT looking to go with an air ride set up. I want simple, no leaking valves, no air pump hardware etc... Does anyone have knowledge of Works, Essex or Ohlins adjustable shocks for softails?
I have a set of the 418's on my 05 FXDL and they are CERTAINLY not too soft. I really like them - very adjustable - preload and damping.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks PWS, but Progressive 418's are not 413's and the Dyna suspension is a whole different animal than a Softail's suspension. Apples vs. oranges all around.

Trying to get feedback on Essex's Performance Series shocks for Softails. Info I've found so far has been sparse, but all seems very positive. Pricing seems to be a little more than Progressive, but not nearly as ridiculous as Ohlins. Feedback anyone???

http://www.essexmoto.com/shocks.html#shocks

·
Registered
213 Posts
SFTL-1 said:
Having read many of the threads regarding Progressive 413 shocks for a softail, it seems that many feel they are too soft - even when adjusted to max. preload.
Whoever said that had been riding a rigid for a long time.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it sounds like there might be hope for 413's after all. Maybe the "too soft" claims are coming from a few B I G boys? I'm put the 413's back on my short list, but I would still like to hear from anyone who has experience with Works Performance & Essex Motor Sports shocks for softails. Ohlins are off the list unless I can find a great deal, just not willing to spend that kind of cash for shocks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have them on a 1994 fxstc the 1 inch lower ones and their kit in the front and it rides really good its been on for a few yrs now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts