V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was changing some things on the bike over the winter I decided to lower the rear end an inch. At first I was going to buy a set of take-off shocks from a Streetglide but after reading so many positive posts about the Progessive 412 shocks, I decided to buy them instead. The price was a great deal at $180 in chrome.

Today I put 200 miles on the bike with my badlander seat. I couldn't believe how well the bike handled. Believe me, I put it through the paces as we rode to Helen, GA through the mountain twisties. The bike responded much better than it did with the stock shocks. Not sure if its the actual shocks or the lower ride.

I bought the heavy duty version of the 412's. I weigh about 220lbs and was worried they'd be too stiff. I have them on the softess setting and they felt fine. Went over some decent bumps and the rear tire tracked well and I never felt the ride was harsh.

Its been a while since I rode my buddy's EG with 440's. I'll have to compare the 2 the next time we're riding. But for the money, I'd say these shocks were well worth getting rid of the air shocks.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
i just bought a set of 12" 412 series shocks, i am glad you have such high regards for em. as i am currently in the rebuilding stages and last year had the stock 13" shocks. have you done anything to the fork suspension?
all i know is i can't wait to see how these puppies feel!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dashooter said:
i just bought a set of 12" 412 series shocks, i am glad you have such high regards for em. as i am currently in the rebuilding stages and last year had the stock 13" shocks. have you done anything to the fork suspension?
all i know is i can't wait to see how these puppies feel!
Didn't lower the front and I probably won't. I think the Road King sits too flat in stock format. I like the rear end a bit lower. Its the same setup as the stock Streetglide/RK Custom. Plus I'm 6' and don't have any issues with the bike being too tall.

You're going to like the 412's. Much better than stock. Might not be as good as 440 but at half the cost and never having 440's, I don't think I'm missing anything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was wondering what notch you got yours set at for two up. I got them on my RKC and with two up I still bottom out. If I crank them all the way up it's a nice ride but beats the hell out of me solo. Guess I'll be keeping the wrench in the saddle-bag. The improved handling is from the bike being lowered. Mine felt more like "Point and Go" after lowering as opposed to "Steer and guide" before. BTW I'm about 190lbs and the wife 120... I wish there was a sweet spot there somewhere that I could leave it.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
amidaeus said:
I was wondering what notch you got yours set at for two up. I got them on my RKC and with two up I still bottom out. If I crank them all the way up it's a nice ride but beats the hell out of me solo. Guess I'll be keeping the wrench in the saddle-bag. The improved handling is from the bike being lowered. Mine felt more like "Point and Go" after lowering as opposed to "Steer and guide" before. BTW I'm about 190lbs and the wife 120... I wish there was a sweet spot there somewhere that I could leave it.
I have the heavy duty 12". I weigh about 220 and the wife 115. I have them of the softest setting and it rides fine 2 up or solo. Haven't hit any big bumps with her on the bike though. Then again, the roads in GA aren't really that bad. No snowy winters to tear them up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I dropped to the 11.5" but with the heavy duty springs. That could be the diff. I have the setting at two nothches from the stiffest and can ride two up if I am careful to avoid the big potholes on the back roads. You may want to check it out slowly. Don't want to rupture a disc like Lady Godive did. Be safe...

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
amidaeus said:
Well I dropped to the 11.5" but with the heavy duty springs. That could be the diff. I have the setting at two nothches from the stiffest and can ride two up if I am careful to avoid the big potholes on the back roads. You may want to check it out slowly. Don't want to rupture a disc like Lady Godive did. Be safe...
So you feel that if you do hit a good sized pot hole the bike "will" bottom out?

What if you were to set them up to the next or highest setting? Do you think you would bottom out then?

I ask because I just got a set of heavy duty 11 1/2" 440's for my road glide and I'm concerned I may bottom out with my better half on the back. I think we tip the scales around 325 (that may be a little high).

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know for a fact I will bottom out two up at that setting. Cranked all the way up, two up is no problem. cranked all the way and solo, beats the hell out of me. I leave them 2 notches from the top and watch for potholes. 440's are a different design, maybe it wont be a problem. I would like to know how it works out for you.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
amidaeus said:
Thanks for the mention, Kelly. I've got to find out what kind of Progressives I've got on my RK so I can try to dial them in a little better, or maybe even replace them if necessary. I just can't afford to rack my back again so soon after my back surgery. All the info on these threads has been helpful but I may be back to ask a stupid question or two before all is said and done!

·
Registered
304 Posts
L.G.

My wife also has some back issues and complains sometimes. Did not think it was that big of a deal until you mentioned your accident. I guess us folks with no problems take it for granted. I keep a close eye out for potholes now when we ride together. I would change to a longer shock if I could get my legs to grow longer lol...

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
amidaeus said:
L.G.

My wife also has some back issues and complains sometimes. Did not think it was that big of a deal until you mentioned your accident. I guess us folks with no problems take it for granted. I keep a close eye out for potholes now when we ride together. I would change to a longer shock if I could get my legs to grow longer lol...
LOL! I've got long legs, so in all reality for the good of my back, I should probably get some longer shocks, but the bike just looks so damn cool slammed to the ground! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts