V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into Progressive shocks for an 05 Ultra. I had a seal blow out on the stock shock so I might as well upgrade. Is their really much performance difference between stock and the 412's? and then again up to the 440's? I do mostly 2 up riding and sometimes pull a trailer on long trips. Thanks for any input...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting question. It would be nice to ride two similar bikes with the different shocks. I just put the 412s, which are half the price, on my FLHX. I am extremely pleased. I understand the 440s are stiffer which might be a plus for a sport bike but for a touring bike that might not be as good?!? I called the tech support folks at Progressive and we decided the 412s were better for my application.

lowbar

·
Registered
276 Posts
fxstc80 said:
Looking into Progressive shocks for an 05 Ultra. I had a seal blow out on the stock shock so I might as well upgrade. Is their really much performance difference between stock and the 412's? and then again up to the 440's? I do mostly 2 up riding and sometimes pull a trailer on long trips. Thanks for any input...
I just upgraded the rear stock air shocks to Progressive 440 and Progressive springs in the front on my 2000 RoadKing. I have to say that it was a worthy upgrade. I didn't realize how poor my stock shocks and springs had become.

Based on feedback from the, aparantly skinny narrow-assed :harhar: , riders here I opted for the standard spring over the heavy duty spring in the 440s. I weigh in close to 200 and loaded w/ the OL and bags full I bet were close to 350lbs. When riding two up I have to crank the springs to full preload and even then I have bottomed out once. I probably would have been happy with the heavy duty springs.

Riding solo the ride is fantastic.

2nd best upgrade I have done. The best was my Corbin seat.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have the 412's that are one inch shorter (12") than stock. I think they ride a lot better than the stock air shocks. I think for the money, they are great. But, they don't ride as well as the 440's. My buddy has them on his E-glide. But they are $200 more. I wanted to improve the ride and lower my bike. I had just done about $3k in custom work and the wife was breathing down my neck about $$$$$. I'm happy with the decision but I haven't been a trip with the bike in over a year. I think you'll like them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I've just about talked myself into the 440's. Not really sure about the standard or heavy spring though. I would hit the 300lb mark with o/l and add in 25-30 trailer tongue weight and another 25 in gear....350...I wonder about ride quality with the heavy springs when not loaded.
Where's the best price at??? thanks..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had 440s on my 02 King, I think they were an inch shorter, For me, they were worse than the factory shocks. Very harsh. I sold em and bought new stock HD shocks.

I am planning on trying the 412s on my Dyna (I want black shocks) and am hoping they will be better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
13.5" 440's

I bought the 440's and put them on two years ago. I personally do not like them. I like the stock ride better. I took them off last Saturday and put the stock shocks back on. Now they are just sitting in a box in the barn. I am getting ready to put them on ebay for sale. If I carried a lot of weight or a passenger these might be good. I got the 13.5", which are longer than stock because Progressive said that it would be a better ride. They are standard duty.
That said I do like the progressive fork springs. Took most of the front end dive out when stopping. I need to change the fork oil. I think that is a good winter project.

Deac

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I had the 412 on my Sportster but can't compare because it was done when I bought the bike. I got them to lower the sporty. I had no complaints about the sporty ride. With a Mustang wide vintage touring seat, the 412, and a windshield I couldn't figure out why people complained. No one has mentioned the 418. Isn't that suppossed to be in between the 412 and 440?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lowbar said:
Interesting question. It would be nice to ride two similar bikes with the different shocks. I just put the 412s, which are half the price, on my FLHX. I am extremely pleased. I understand the 440s are stiffer which might be a plus for a sport bike but for a touring bike that might not be as good?!? I called the tech support folks at Progressive and we decided the 412s were better for my application.

lowbar
I haven't seen anything about the 440 being stiffer than the 412. I also called tech support any they recommended the 440's ..?... Would you say the 412's are stiffer than stock? more responsive? more cushy? Can you elaborate on why you're so pleased? It just seems the stock air shocks struggle to respond to anything rough and are slow to recover. As a few have chimed in with dislikes, I'm still undecided...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have the 440s with the heavy springs. Im 300 alone. I really like them. Much better ride then stock. I set the springs at 6 turns and leave them there. 1 or 2 up they work great.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
One thing I have learned after reading many posts on the 412 vs 440; if you are going for the 12" shocks the better opton is the 412 - the 440s work best in the 13" or 13.5" size and don't perform properly in the shorter lengths.

·
Registered
314 Posts
fxstc80 said:
I haven't seen anything about the 440 being stiffer than the 412. I also called tech support any they recommended the 440's ..?... Would you say the 412's are stiffer than stock? more responsive? more cushy? Can you elaborate on why you're so pleased? It just seems the stock air shocks struggle to respond to anything rough and are slow to recover. As a few have chimed in with dislikes, I'm still undecided...
So I did two things. I went from a 12" air shock to a 13" standard shock. I also went from the Showa/HD shock to the Progressive. With the Showa if I pressed down on the passenger seat there was little to no give. It was very stiff. It also bottomed out frequently on anything more than a minor bump. With the Progressive if I press down on the rear seat there is give, as in a real suspension that cushions most bumps and I haven't bottomed out yet. I have the standard springs.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Here's a word doc I have for all the part numbers and pricing. These can be found on www.mawonline.com. The pricing was in effect last week.

Progressive spring numbers and shock numbers for Electra Glides

Spring number 11-1131 and mawonline.com number 04028. Online price $52.95

440 number 440-4002B and mawonline.com number is 27178. Price is $391.95

The first numbers are Progressive part ##'s. The second is maw's number.

·
Registered
1 Posts
412HD too stiff for me

I went with the 11.5" 412HD on my 98 fxdwg and it feels like im riding a tank with or w/o my OL on it...I weigh 230 and shes 140...gonna switch to 12" 412SD and hope for a better ride

·
Registered
65 Posts
I installed the 440's immediately after buying my 2008 Road Glide before heading out for my wrld2r. I rode the 4 points of the US, Mexico's Copper Canyon, western Canada and all around Alaska and up to the Arctic Circle. In Alaska, while having the the tires replaced and at 26K miles, one of the shocks showed a leak. No problem said Progressive, so they replaced them both for free. Since then I shipped my bike to Europe for two years and road in many different countries. You can imagine the the changing road conditions which were never a problem since you can adjust them in minutes on the side of the road. I now have 60k on the bike, and have the tires off the bike in the garage ready for new rubber, and the shocks look great.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts