V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October 25, 2007

Last week there was not a single military casualty; Iraqi or U.S., in Anbar Province. This is the first time that has happened since March 2003.

These statistics reflect the changes since mid-June, which was the peak of the troop surge (and also the Baghdad Prayer Patrol surge) until the beginning of this week.

- Violence in and around Baghdad is down 59 percent.

- Car bombs are down 65 percent.

- Casualties from car bombs and roadside bombs are down by 80 percent.

- Casualties from enemy attacks down 77 percent.

- Operations against Iraqi security forces are down 62 percent.

- Assassination attempts for sectarian reasons are down 72 percent.

Read more, and join the Baghdad Prayer Patrol.

This is a great way to actively support our troops. I receive a daily e-mail with a link to a specific prayer for our troops and the region.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
The sad percentage is that this has been the deadliest year for our troops and it ain't over yet...I think it's time we pay attention to that detail first and offer up a prayer, best wishes, positive energy or whatever you have...then we can celebrate whatever success there is!!!

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swimmer, did you click the link and read? There's a graph to show progress -- including the start date for the Baghdad Prayer Patrol.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
Swimmer, did you click the link and read? There's a graph to show progress -- including the start date for the Baghdad Prayer Patrol.
No I didn't...sorry...got some news that wasn't nice and felt like reminding everyone...I have now and frankly the perspective is someone else's...I stand by my earlier post...before we celebrate we need to remember the cost...

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prayer Warriors!!!

Sorry about your bad news swimmer.

I believe in the power of prayer. Prayer changes things. Just 1 minute a day is all it takes to become part of the solution. It's the least I can do, and the MOST I can do, right now, every day, to support our soldiers.

Click the link, just try it for a few days. Your added prayer can make a difference. http://prayercentral.net/baghdad/

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
The sad percentage is that this has been the deadliest year for our troops and it ain't over yet...I think it's time we pay attention to that detail first and offer up a prayer, best wishes, positive energy or whatever you have...then we can celebrate whatever success there is!!!

I think when you look at raw numbers, then obviously the number speaks for itself. I don't know if percentage wise, there is an increase considering the troop increase would come into account. Honestly, I don't know and as a Soldier myself, I don't pay attention to those types of stats-- on purpose.

What I will say is that if you actively go out and seek to make contact with the enemy, then it is only reasonable to expect a higher (friendly) casualty "count". In the military we expect it and to put it bluntly, we accept that risk because the desired outcome is that you defeat and destroy them and that will ultimately lead to lower casualty "counts" over the long term.

When I spent 2006 in Afghanistan, I was surprised to read/hear the news about Afghanistan when I was home on my 2-week R&R. It made it sound like we were getting our butts kicked and all was lost. Well indeed, we were in more fire fights. Not because the enemy necessarily became better organized and capable. Instead, we expanded into territories US Soldiers had not been before and we purposely made contact with the enemy-- to kill them. We like the recidivism rates for dead Taliban/AQ/HiG fighters.

However, the price is real. We recently lost 4 of our 1st Brigade Soldiers several days ago to an IED. In my Brigade, we lost over 50 Soldiers during our tour.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
A salute and my prayers

HiAngle said:
I think when you look at raw numbers, then obviously the number speaks for itself. I don't know if percentage wise, there is an increase considering the troop increase would come into account. Honestly, I don't know and as a Soldier myself, I don't pay attention to those types of stats-- on purpose.

What I will say is that if you actively go out and seek to make contact with the enemy, then it is only reasonable to expect a higher (friendly) casualty "count". In the military we expect it and to put it bluntly, we accept that risk because the desired outcome is that you defeat and destroy them and that will ultimately lead to lower casualty "counts" over the long term.

When I spent 2006 in Afghanistan, I was surprised to read/hear the news about Afghanistan when I was home on my 2-week R&R. It made it sound like we were getting our butts kicked and all was lost. Well indeed, we were in more fire fights. Not because the enemy necessarily became better organized and capable. Instead, we expanded into territories US Soldiers had not been before and we purposely made contact with the enemy-- to kill them. We like the recidivism rates for dead Taliban/AQ/HiG fighters.

However, the price is real. We recently lost 4 of our 1st Brigade Soldiers several days ago to an IED. In my Brigade, we lost over 50 Soldiers during our tour.
Are with you and your brigade!!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
- Violence in and around Baghdad is down 59 percent.

- Car bombs are down 65 percent.

- Casualties from car bombs and roadside bombs are down by 80 percent.

- Casualties from enemy attacks down 77 percent.

- Operations against Iraqi security forces are down 62 percent.

- Assassination attempts for sectarian reasons are down 72 percent.
I've been hearing a lot of this in the liberal media, it can't be true.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
HiAngle said:
What I will say is that if you actively go out and seek to make contact with the enemy, then it is only reasonable to expect a higher (friendly) casualty "count".
The mainstream media has been mirroring what you've said for at least the last 6 weeks. The reports I've been hearing and reading have said that the Iraqi citizens have stepped up and for the most part been really helpful in pointing out the bad guys.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
HiAngle said:

Thanks for the perspective! My prayers are with you.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
The long and short of it is the USA and coalition have failed thus far to THUMP the enemy. We are not there to win. Bush can say whatever he wants. We are not there to win. Why do you go to war to not win? There in lies the mystery.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
geoffreyt said:
The long and short of it is the USA and coalition have failed thus far to THUMP the enemy. We are not there to win. Bush can say whatever he wants. We are not there to win. Why do you go to war to not win? There in lies the mystery.
The mystery is what realistic goal have we not achieved over there?
Saddam and his boys are dead, no WMD's, Iraq has had their elections, we've trained thousand of Iraqi police. So what realistic goal is left? :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Smokey said:
The mystery is what realistic goal have we not achieved over there?
Saddam and his boys are dead, no WMD's, Iraq has had their elections, we've trained thousand of Iraqi police. So what realistic goal is left? :hmmm:

Keep Iran out of there? Yeah, before you go firing up the flamethrower, I know that was not on the list when Bush went in. And I'm not necessarily arguing for it, just suggesting it's a possibility.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
short term data

Everything that is getting shoved at us over the improvements in Iraq based on information such as car bombs, IED explosions, US military deaths, improvements in Iraq infrastructure needs to be viewed in a variety of ways. But certainly in terms of importance with regards the time surrounding the information. I don't believe you can simply look at this kind of counting limited items and determine any significant long term results. You certainly are playing on a Ouija Board if you try to use the information to predict future trends.

Generally if you had access to all the same data (individual item counts) for the last five years on say a monthly count you would find periods of decreases and increases on the same items. If you bet on a horse becasue he won his last race and ignore the previous race results your not betting smart you are just betting hopefully.

I certainly hope things are improving in Iraq so the US can look to leaving. But I'm not foolish enough to forget the leaders of the insurgents know all to well the history of the last thousands years. Time is on their side when it comes to waiting and holding out till a latter date.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I think there is reason for optimism. From what I understand, local citizens are starting to "rat" on the insurgents and Iranians who have been stirring things up in the past. Those locals used to be scared of doing that because of intimidation. It appears that they are now beginning to feel safe and protected enough to do that and now the "bad guys" are not as able to blend in and hide. The "surge" is probably mostly, or at a minimum partly, responsible for "Joe Citizen" feeling less intimidated and taking more responsibility for reducing the violence in his neighborhood.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Agree

bigbluff said:
I think there is reason for optimism. From what I understand, local citizens are starting to "rat" on the insurgents and Iranians who have been stirring things up in the past. Those locals used to be scared of doing that because of intimidation. It appears that they are now beginning to feel safe and protected enough to do that and now the "bad guys" are not as able to blend in and hide. The "surge" is probably mostly, or at a minimum partly, responsible for "Joe Citizen" feeling less intimidated and taking more responsibility for reducing the violence in his neighborhood.
You would think that eventually the real family people would start to get sick of the BS and say enough?

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Hmmmm

I read that you are less likely to be killed as a soldier in Iraq than as a citizen in DC(the capitol, not the forum).:unsure:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
jerry34208 said:
I read that you are less likely to be killed as a soldier in Iraq than as a citizen in DC(the capitol, not the forum).:unsure:
That is a neo-con " urban legend, based on skewed statistics and promulgated by the likes of Rush Limbaugh and his dittoheads. :thumbsdn:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Murder in DC was at it's highest rate in 1991 at 482...it has since fallen 37 percent to date in 2007...to date in the year 2007 war deaths: 852

1 - 20 of 72 Posts