V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some combo speedo/tacks on Ebay. I was looking at the nostalgic one. I wrote the seller and he said that he can not sell the mileage for me and he is a HD dealer out of my state.

So if I buy the unit exactly what do I have to do to swap it out? Do I have to pay my dealer to reset the mileage to match my original speedometer? Can I just bring my speedo in to the dealer? Or do I have to bring my bike in and have the dealer do everything??

TIA,
John

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
When you purchase a new HD speedo like you mentioned from a HD dealer at the parts dept, the speedo will come with your mileage set. If you purchase one from ebay and they won't set your mileage, I believe your local dealer can have the mileage set for you, but since you did not purchase the speedo from them, they will more than likely charge you for that.

As far as the actual installation, its fairly easy provided you have the installation instructions.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
A dealer will have to send it to the factory to get reset. Be careful. I've heard of a few people that bought the combo units brand new and if it stops working after the part warranty (90 days? 1year? not sure), you're screwed out of $500

·
Registered
57 Posts
My local dealer has the capability to move an odometer forward but not backward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts