V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hope someone could help me out here!
I've just purchased a detachable sissybar for my 06 FXDCI and I've runned into two problems.

1. There are no threads in the minirail? (se attached image).

How should the rail then attached to the sideplate?
The only thing I can think about besides buying the wrong part is that the rail is faulty, the threads are missing.

2. The rail is to short to reach between the two sideplates? (se image).

Besides as in no 1, bought the wrong rail, I can't figure why.

The thing is that these are genuin HD parts, listed for dyna -06 and I bought them straight from a US HD-parts supplier.

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewiteminfo.asp?SKU=51512%2D02&SKUQuals=

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks/Dan B

Parts bought:
52866-06 Chrome Detachable Sideplate Kit for FXD Models
53961-06 Detachable Docking Hardware Kit
51512-02 Mini Rail Sissy Bar Upright-Chrome Plain
52527-01 Mini Rail Uprights
52513-94 Mini Rail Backrest Pad
53968-06 Directional Relocation Kit

·
Registered
46 Posts
A little help

Don't claim to be an expert here, but I have 1 answer and 1 suggestion.

Regarding the threads, I know with my sissy bar, there are no threads in the hole either. There is a bolt that goes through the minirail and through the mount with a nut on the other end. This is what secures it to the rail without a need for threads in the mount.

With the rail being too short, it looks like from the picture that the mounted sideplate is bent out a little bit. I know when I first installed mine, I had to push the sideplate in a little bit to get the sissybar to fit into the slot. Don't know if that's the issue with yours, but, I did run into a similar problem, to a lesser degree.

Hope this helps a little,
Ogre

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ogre,

There are screws and nuts included with the kit that would reach through the sideplate (as well as shorter screws with the right lenght to fit if there would have been threads in the rail).

As seen in the attached image there are no holes in the sideplate. One option would to drill through the sideplates, but somehow I think its a cleaner look if not. Maybe drill a slightly larger hole in the existing hole the rail and put/weld a nut on the isnide could keep that look. Don't know the strenght though.

And maybe some bending would take care of the fit.

/Dan B

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think you have the wrong mini-rail, the part number in your link, #51512-02 is good up to '05. On an '06 the part # is 52738-94A. Probably is too narrow because of the tire/fender width on the new Dyna.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh yeah, by the way... on my 2000 WG the mini-rail was tapped for 1/4-20 screws. It came with four buttonheads. (1/4-20X1" long chrome screws):dunno:

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gruss gott Prky Pg.

Good input.
I've e-mailed the dealer to hear whats wrong.

Thanks guys.

/Dan B

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No answer from the dealer.
So I went ahead and modified the sideplates and the mini rail.

I made the mini rail 2 centimeters wider (with a car jacket :).
I threaded the holes in the rail with a M8x1,25 tap (standard M8 threads).

I made the holes in the sideplate larger with a 8 mm drill.

The fit is perfect. Time for next project, the saddle bag.

//Dan B

·
Registered
84 Posts
wrong mini rail upright

51512-02 Mini Rail Sissy Bar Upright-Chrome Plain is for "02-05 Dyna Models" You would want part number 52738-94A.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, Twohulabears,

That partnumber is not listed at this dealer, and the "51512-02 Mini Rail Sissy Bar Upright-Chrome Plain" is listed as Dyna 02 - up. So I guess they've not been upgraded their text on their website.

Since I'm in Sweden and it would have been to much hassle with shipping and taxes, I went ahead and modified the stuff.

Its working now, and no one could tell the diffrence. Here's some pics.

Will just find some nice M8 bolts to torque the rail to the sideplates with.

//Dan B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts