V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dyna low rider. I have rhinehart pipes, screaming eagle air filter, and just bought the powercommander 3. I put Andrews 37h cams in which from the book I ordered them from said they were stock bolt in compatible. No upgrades needed.

Anyways I set powercommander to my match my settings just to see if it would run. Then I heard some clanking some ticking and I could tell the valves were ticking. oh crap no oil. Well then my motor stopped and wouldnt even turn. I took of the cover over oil pump and cam and my cam chain was in pieces. :dh:

What did I do wrong? It sounded great, was there something else I was suppose to buy? did the tensioner fail? I've done cams before , I rechecked everything I've installed I didnt mess up or make a stupid mistake?

The chain was so jammed between cam gear and oil pump gear it froze the engine. It atleast turns over but I fear I did internal damage.

Was I suppose to buy a chain with a better tinsel strength or do a hydraulic tensioner shoe?

Any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ideas for you

You should not need a stronger chain, with stock springs there should not be much more stress on it. I would difficult to determine where the problem lies, it is likely since you shut it down immediately the damage is minimal.
Since the valve timing got thrown out of whack, pull the push rods back out, which will have all valves closed and do a leak down test to make sure no valves got bent.
Just a shot in the dark from here, but if the cam timing was set up right (which I don't doubt, since you have done the job before), it would look like the tensioner failed for some reason.
Check to make sure that no debris got into the pump.
My best wishes for you in this nightmare, let us know what you find, and we'll help you get through it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a dyna low rider. I have rhinehart pipes, screaming eagle air filter, and just bought the powercommander 3. I put Andrews 37h cams in which from the book I ordered them from said they were stock bolt in compatible. No upgrades needed.

Anyways I set powercommander to my match my settings just to see if it would run. Then I heard some clanking some ticking and I could tell the valves were ticking. oh crap no oil. Well then my motor stopped and wouldnt even turn. I took of the cover over oil pump and cam and my cam chain was in pieces. :dh:

What did I do wrong? It sounded great, was there something else I was suppose to buy? did the tensioner fail? I've done cams before , I rechecked everything I've installed I didnt mess up or make a stupid mistake?

The chain was so jammed between cam gear and oil pump gear it froze the engine. It atleast turns over but I fear I did internal damage.

Was I suppose to buy a chain with a better tinsel strength or do a hydraulic tensioner shoe?

Any help would be great thanks
did you let lifters bleed down before you turned motor over to adj other cylinder? just a guess. that would bend the valves in turn when you started bike up they would really bind things up causing all kinds of probs in camchest and your pistons.that is just my opinion
from what you have posted here,good luck,oh and make sure check your pinion shaft for dmage and run out since the motor locked up!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Cliff hanger

I wonder what happened to the original poster, gsxjohn!
Don't leave us in suspense. How did it all work out for you?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
he more than likely had an oh **** moment and realized what he did wrong

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I don't know how he could recheck everything he did when the chain was laying in the bottom of the cam chest. Likely had the alignment off a tooth or two. Hope he doesn't find too much else like valves, guides, pushrods, crank............

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I would guess if the chain is broken, there is some major **** messed up

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Sounds like the push rods were in the wrong locations. Exhaust intake switched.

Al

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
shoulda got the 37g instead of 37h

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Is this just the lifter pumping up? If you are next expecting it, you will crap yourself. If you are expecting it, you just tighten the sphincter. I drunk and tired and not reading details.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gotta wonder if this guy is gonna give us the rest of the story? Hope he does the right thing and explains what the cause was......

·
Registered
15 Posts
37H question

Does the 37H make a more more aggressive sound than other Andrews cams and other cams in General? If not, would a much more aggressive sound coming from the A/C indicate that somehow the cam install was not done properly? As an example, mine sound like an old Hemi enginge on a dodge super bee with the 383 hemi......not a bad sound but it is definitly different than say my buddy's 103 with the 54's in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2011 103 with 54s makes noise through the air cleaner verses stock. There is more going on. More air going in etc. Just part of the I want more power deal. All I have to do is put the stock air cleaner on - the football and all goes away. But I want the most so the big sucker is staying on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts