V-Twin Forum banner

Probems finding neutral

21K views 23 replies 23 participants last post by  cknipe 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2005 road king and I have a very difficult time getting the bike to go into neutral when I am stopped (If I'm moving, it's no problem to go from 2nd or 1st to neutral, only when completely stopped). This is my first Harley but my 7th bike overall, and I have never had this problem before. I have ridden several other Harley's in the past and never had the problem on any of those bikes either. I do not have a heavy foot and have no idea why my bike is so difficult to get into neutral. Has anyone else experienced this same issue, and if so, I would love to hear some suggestions as to how to correct it. Now I just shut the bike off and leave it in first gear.

#2 ·
this might not solve your problem but give it a try if you havent. when you kick it down in first and are trying to find nuetral, instead of going up on the front lever to find nuetral, tap down slightly on the rear lever. it seems to fend it a little better that way. on my road king, i have to give the bike a little rev while pushing up on the front lever to get it into nuetral. hope this helps some.

#3 ·
Thanks. I normally use my heel, then I tried using my toe, to see if maybe this would be easier, but it made no difference. It just goes right past neutral in either direction. Lately I have been giving the bike a little rev while at the same time trying to tap into neutral and this has made it a little better, but still more difficult than it should be.

#15 ·
@gree:. Had the identical issue with my 05' Road King Classic. Had Tracy (TRW) install a new clutch line 2 weeks ago. He advised me the "Dealer installed" one was not properly adjusted. It was like night and day after the install. Neutral *always* seems to be a b!tch to find, but having my clutch properly adjusted made a world of difference.

#10 ·
I also had some difficulties finding neutral (on my new '08 SG) from 1st after stopping.
Recently, I adjusted the heel/toe shifters making them more horizontal and therefore requiring less "lifting" of my foot to change gears. Since the adjustment I'm finding neutral everytime! I think it's got to do with the fact that I'm now applying less pressure on the heel shifter because I don't have to raise my heel as high.
(Less height=less weight hitting the shifter) Give it a try...might work for you.

#17 ·
Make sure clutch and primary chain are adjusted per spec, then blip the throttle slightly while lifting your toe from 1st and it'll go right in. Took me a year to figure this out -- I was beginning to think I didn't have a neutral. LOL.

#18 ·
finding neutral

let me ask you a question, without me looking like a smart ass do you have a shop manual?that answer is in there! With just about every problem dealing with the Harley you always look for the cheap answers first. In this case, you have a few ounces too much oil in the primary. Next check to see if there's proper clutch cable adjustments. And then take a look at the primary chain which probably at this point does not need any more adjustment.the type of oil, or the brand you use makes no difference here! Good quality stuff is always important for longevity, but that's not because in this case. Overfilling the primary happens all the time even to the best of us, it's not easy to see in the Derby cover anymore. Get yourself a little plastic owes, and suck out a few ounces and things should return to normal.

#24 ·
Absolutely! I have been fighting with my 09 trike for the last 5 years since I got it. Fill with amounts listed in manual and proper fluids. Still no go. Oil level should be touching bottom of clutch basket. A recent video by Doc Harley gives great explanation as over filling causes clutch drag. Out for first ride today on a full engine rebuild and chain case level as per Doc and neutral is now a breeze. Great info. video posted below for you to decide for yourself.
How to check your Primary Fluids | How much fluid to put in my Harley-Davidson primary | Doc Harley - YouTube

#20 ·
Kieth in post #7 nailed what has always worked for me.

A spot-on accurate primary chain adjustment running with MTL fluid and I can find neutral anytime, under any condition, with out any effort at all. Of course I keep the clutch adjusted too.

Neutral is never an issue, I was just thinking about that on my last ride, how good it felt.

#21 ·
It's a Harley thing. At least is has been on the five Harleys that I have owned.

If I am reading you right, it is not hanging up in gear but goes past neutral without stopping. If so, it just takes a gentle touch that you get better at with time. In my case with a heavy size 13 boot it is difficult to have the necessary light touch. I have to rock the shift lever back and forth a few times usually. I doubt if you need to adjust anything or change the trans lube.

#23 ·
I agree with some of the others, if it is not an issue with adjustments or fluid. I had a hard time finding it as well, don't know why. Now I can find it easy, and the bike is the same. Just got used to it I guess. Same thing happened with my Low Rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.