V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the new "PRO" series hypercharger (it has much larger K&N air cleaner surface area than the standard hyper, it looks different, costs more) on an 88B EFI??
Kuryakyn sent me the .pdf install file and it requires adding (drilling) a vaccuum line on the intake manifold. I'll either do this or take out the butterflies for now and drill this when the warranty expires.
I have looked at all the intake options and just can't quite bring myself to go the $140 SE route when , for $100 more, get something that looks better and performs equal or better.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Kury...

Hey there Chops,

I wouldn't drill and tap the intake. Just gut the flies and related hardware. I'm running an original style Kury on my big inch, hi. comp. FXDX with an SE breather manifold plumbed to the carb spacer. Some say the AC is too small for this engine but it pulls strong to six grand. If they made the Pro Series upgrade in black powdercoat I'd do it... Still might and paint it black!

If you like the look, just get it! In my opinion it sets a precidence for a drag bike theme which I carried out on my bike.

One of the slickest ACs out there is the Big Sucker by Arlen Ness. It has 'O' ringed internal head breather passages and you can run an Evo style round cover or just an H-D, AC cover insert alone for a minimalist look.

Your bike... Your call!

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Chops,

I just got an '02 FLSTSI in March and had the Hypercharger installed by the dealer before delivery along with Vance + Hines slip-ons and Stage 1.

Long story short... The engine light kept going on and off and the bike kept "coding". The dealer said that the light going on and off was no big deal and learn to live with it. However, when you pay over 20k out the door for anything you want everything to be right and no future problems (within reason). The dealer then said that he would have to either change/plug the manifold and get rid of the butterflies. That didn't work either. The bike kept "coding" and Kuryakn's stance was to get a PCIIIr and that would help. I found out that the Power commander runs downstream of the ECM and would just be masking the problem. The dealer painted himself into a corner and was forced to change the A/C to Screamin' Eagle- PROBLEM SOLVED.

The moral of the story... is that the ECMs are very sensitive to manifold pressure changes and the Hypercharger (let alone Pro series) just flows too much air or there is not a correct map for the combo which in any case may spell- DISASTER.

Although, I must admit that lookswise the hypercharger can't be beat.
The carb guys have all the luck- for now:rolleyes:.

Hope this helps,
Don

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response bros....
Guess I'm back to square one again. I don't really want to put a pwr commander on while in warranty , my dealer is really funny. My dealer would NOT install pipes or anything that is not in the official HD wish book.I guess they got burned too many times by aftermarket stuff. And I would have to put everything back stock if I needed warranty work.

Don that is disappointing that you couldn't get the Hyper to work with the manifold plugged and the butterflies out. It would seem that would be OK as the SE Stage1 has larger surface area than the standard Hyper does (from what I can tell). Are you sure your dealer tried this or did he give up and put in the SE kit to get you on your way?

If anyone is running an aftermarket AC (besides SE Stage1) on an EFI setup, please respond with what you have!!!!

-- I have a '02 FLSTFI Fatboy with VH Longshots

from,
Chops not breathing as well as I could be in Ft Lauderdale.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Chops,

I was there and it took about 30 minutes. At first they did not want to take the hypercharger back, they tried to find ways around it. When they told me about getting rid of the butterflies; I ran back to this forum and Hippo helped me out by confirming that it was a possible fix.

I made it about 3/4 mile down the road when the light came back on:mad: . I just don't want to see anyone go through that when it could have been avoided.

In any case call kuryakn and speak to either Fred or Owen in the R&D/ Tech Dept. maybe by now they have figured out a way to make it work without coding (doubt it, but still possible).

Don

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don,
Your info has been very helpful. I had Fred's address from a recent inquiry on the Pro setup, so I emailed him with all these issues , especially the problems you were having and why the Hyper would trigger errors while the SE would not.
Hopefully I'll get a solid answer soon and let you know what the resolution (if any) is.
Thanks...Chops

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just received a reply back from Kuryakyn.
Bottom line, use anything other than a SE unit on an EFI, EXPECT to install a pwr commander at the same time. HD's chip is designed to work with the HD product within their HD design spec.It sounds like a very small window to me(intentional).
It looks like I'll be installing the SE unit after all, it just won't make sense to buy a PC for a stock engine.

Thanks again Don, you saved me $250 plus headaches....I owe you a brew of your choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chops,

At least they owed up to the coding issue. I am just glad to have saved someone from the aggravation.

About the brew... you name the place:).

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts