V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i love the looks of oval duals and the sound download, but i am concerned about not getting a tolerable mellow hi-way sound for an upcoming vancouver- nyc run. anyone able to comment first hand? bike arrives this month(06 ultra) and i need to make a decision. the other option is the pro-pipe, but i can't really get excited about the looks on a bagger. strictly future preformance upgrades in mind. what is your critique with the pro-pipes on an ultra? cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I love my ProPipe. Great sound and performance. I don't know if pics do it justice. I couldn't see myself with one either till I saw it on my father in laws bike....then I knew I was going to get one too.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Seahag said:
I love my ProPipe. Great sound and performance. I don't know if pics do it justice. I couldn't see myself with one either till I saw it on my father in laws bike....then I knew I was going to get one too.

Did you notice any seat of the pants performance gains by going to the pro pipe?

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
bc_hombre said:
i love the looks of oval duals and the sound download, but i am concerned about not getting a tolerable mellow hi-way sound for an upcoming vancouver- nyc run. anyone able to comment first hand? bike arrives this month(06 ultra) and i need to make a decision. the other option is the pro-pipe, but i can't really get excited about the looks on a bagger. strictly future preformance upgrades in mind. what is your critique with the pro-pipes on an ultra? cheers.
In my opinion i could be wrong. You picked my 2 favorite setups. However I don't think that either will be mellow on the highway. I have the true duals and ovals on mine. Before i got my hogtunes speakers all i ever heard was the exhaust. Don't get me wrong i love it, but it may not be what you are looking for, they may be a little droning for you taste. I usually go by if you have to ask, they are too loud....Now with that being said as the ovals are not bad performers at all, the propipe is proven to be one of the kings in that department. Let us know what you chose though.......check out fullsac, as they are supposed to be quiet and power proven from what others say....

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Peacekeeper said:
Did you notice any seat of the pants performance gains by going to the pro pipe?
I couldn't objectively say. I switched to my gear drive TW-55G cams (from SE 203's) at the same time...so there was bound to be some performance increases.

My dyno graphs can be found in the dyno thread. With the standard baffle there is virtually no torque dip. Not having the crossover pipe makes for much easier cleaning and maintenance; and less heat on my legs. The big billet end cap looks really sweet to when viewed from the back.

I actually found the propipe to be better for listening to my stereo than the factory crossovers with slip-ons. It is definately easier to hear the left speaker than the right though, with all the exhaust sound coming from the one side. It was even better before I blew all the baffle wrap out. I'm remedying that this winter by replacing the packing with a small doughnut of steel wool; as I've read several others have done.

·
Banned
135 Posts
I have to cast a vote here for the pro-pipe. I just finished installing one on my road king this evening. Dang, my bike has always run pretty well (ok, not always), but what a difference this pipe made. I was previously running a set of Bartels megaphone slip-ons with stock head pipes. I've got a Crane 300 cam, Crane single fire ignition, and Mikuni 42 on an otherwise stock Evo. It had great low end torque but it gave up around 75. It would go faster than that but not easily. Tonight I took it out for a cruise, passed a couple of cars, looked down at the speedo and saw 110. Very nice considering 80 cubes and an incline. I'm impressed. The sound is different, mellow, and deep but I'm not used to it yet. To me that isn't the strongest feature of any 2:1. Performance is what I was after and it looks like that is what I got.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
hey Seahag, does the propipe HS blue and turn color like the standard style? I was just wondering as i am planning my build and am thinking of switching over to the HS when i finally go through with it. thanks..yours looks sweet ....

·
Banned
871 Posts
TXCHOP said:
hey Seahag, does the propipe HS blue and turn color like the standard style? I was just wondering as i am planning my build and am thinking of switching over to the HS when i finally go through with it. thanks..yours looks sweet ....
The Pro-pipe is the way to go for a good performance exhaust with a not too loud cruising sound. It'll really bark when you get on it, though!

I wouldn't worry about it turning blue. If you keep your bike properly tuned, it won't happen. Besides, that's the reason they (and most other good quality exhausts) come with heatshields.... so if they do turn blue because of improper tuning, then it won't show. I've had mine for a few years now and they still look great! I wouldn't trade them for anything! :beer: As tfetters implied, they work great through the entire rpm range. Mine pulls strong from idle up to over 130 mph on the track. There are absolutely no dead spots on my torque curve like I had when I ran a 2-2 system.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
TXCHOP said:

Like Todd said, the heat shields hide any bluing I may have. I have heard reports of the megaphone muffler section yellowing; but in my opinion, those people do not have their bike tuned with a properly set air fuel ratio. My father in law and I did an extended interstate run last summer where we ran for 50 miles at speeds from 95-105 mph and my exhaust has not discolored at all.

We were able to do those speeds because some yahoo rich type, with a cadillac escalade smoked by us when we were doing 80; so we used him for bear bait and just TRIED to keep him in sight....he was still pulling away slowly.:thanks:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
The Propipe on my '02 Rg yellowed right under the bag but with a retune and some elbow grease (by someone other than me, hey I would rather ride them than clean them) it came off. You can see a bit of it in this photo.

Do not let that keep you from the pipe. Sound is good almost like a deep rumble of a V8 but the main deal is it makes the power. Get it for the power it will make. My guess you should get 9 more hp from it.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
thanks for the pics boys, it WILL be included in an up coming builld....I have always loved that pipe but i hate to see it turn color. Since i will have the build i do dyno tuned, i guess i shouldn't have a problem.I want the bike to run great and I know it will with that pipe....:thanks:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts