V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching American Thunder show an Edelbrock build last night. When it was all done, they threw on a pro-pipe and got 103 HP and 98 Torque. Then they changed out the Pro-pipe for VH true-duals and oval slip-ons and went to 93 HP and 91 torque. I knew pipes made a difference, but I was surprised to see that much of one. Bike was an 05 Road King Classic and they were tuning with a SERT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not surprised, I gained around 10 hp switching to a propipe from straight shots up to around 106 sae, and that was with a 160 (to small) main in a mik 42, now running a 170. Pipes do make a difference.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I was wondering if anyone saw it...i was very suprized as well. i would of bet the tq would have held on a little....Did You see them throw the Jims 120 in the fatboy.....Impacts guns zipping everything in....But anyway that goes to show what a propipe can do. Did they put both bikes right on the dyno's as soon as the build were done??

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Question for me is how much from V&H classics, which have crossover to propipe. Crossover is going to give some of scavenger effect.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I'm not convinced*TIBS* ...check out the dyno's posted on this thread which were taken from Dewey's website, and all include the exact same components except for the exhuast. The Tru-Duals dyno just as well as the Pro-pipe and Fatcat. They all used the same tuner as well, which leads me to believe that a good tuner seems to be more important than pipe selection IMO.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64611

·
Registered
725 Posts
berserker said:
Question for me is how much from V&H classics, which have crossover to propipe. Crossover is going to give some of scavenger effect.
True, but would mention I have two carbed TC88's. One with the V&H Big Shot Staggered's, and one with the ProPipe HS. The extra performance from the ProPipe is noticeable from the seat. Over time, I've come to like the lower and deeper exhaust note of the PP more, as well. But this is me.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Hard Krome 3" T-rex True Duals

Secret is in the precise dyno tuning of each individual bike/cylinder. I like fat true duals on a bagger, bike pulls hard and works well. Not feeling like I sacrifice torque/power! My tuner has had excellent and consistent results with these true duals. My opinion, my bike, my pipes!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I watched that too, I noticed the first set of pipes had "competition" baffles.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Didn't see it, but please notice that the numbers have the HP higher than the Tq in both cases.
Doesn't sound like the kind of build most of us, especially us bagger guys, do.
I'd be interested to see the charts and WHERE the power is made.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
Was watching American Thunder show an Edelbrock build last night. When it was all done, they threw on a pro-pipe and got 103 HP and 98 Torque. Then they changed out the Pro-pipe for VH true-duals and oval slip-ons and went to 93 HP and 91 torque. I knew pipes made a difference, but I was surprised to see that much of one. Bike was an 05 Road King Classic and they were tuning with a SERT.
So I'm guessing they didn't retune the bike once they put the True Duals on. That is kind of like telling a person you are going to mix them a screwdrive and put Jack Daniels in instead of Vodka. Then tell them after they drink it that it should taste the same just because they both have alcohol in them.

I wonder how the test would have gone if they were to of tuned the bike for the VH True-Duals first and then put the Pro-pipe on? :corn:

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im pretty sure they did re-tune it. They showed the bike sitting on the dyno with the lap top on the seat. I wouldnt bet my life on it though.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
Im pretty sure they did re-tune it. They showed the bike sitting on the dyno with the lap top on the seat. I wouldnt bet my life on it though.
I would bet they didn't. American Thunder is nothing but a TV commerical for the featured products they test.

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MegaGlide said:
Both pipes are made by the same company.:laugh:
Exactly what I was thinking. They have nothing to lose or gain either way. Plus the pro-pipe is less expensive vs. the dual/slip-on set up. Why go to all the trouble to show the bike on the dyno and post crappy results by not tuning the thing. I wouldnt think VH would let it happen.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
The trick with the Rineharts is to run the quiet baffles like I am. They are 2". The baffles shipped with the pipes are 2.25" and the optional competition baffles are 2.5". I gained over 10 ft lbs of torque by swapping the SE251 cam for the Woods TW5G, and dumping the 2.25" baffles for the 2".

I had the bike retuned last week with the SERT on the dyno since I never got it done after my chain to gear cam swap in the late fall last year. I was very pleased with the results: 85 HP and 95 ft lbs TQ. Peak torque is at 4100 rpm. I can post the pull and AFR sheets if anyone cares to see em.

As you know, especially on a bagger, your concern over HP can be tossed out the window. The torque is where it's at. With the 3.37 gearing in there as well, the Ultra pops a major boner now without any foreplay.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Ya' can never see too many dyno charts, timbo.
Post away!
I'll scan and post em this evening.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Can you post it in the dyno thread and put a point to it in this thread. I am trying to get as much collective dyno info in one place so we can all use it and find it easier. Thanks.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
Exactly what I was thinking. They have nothing to lose or gain either way. Plus the pro-pipe is less expensive vs. the dual/slip-on set up. Why go to all the trouble to show the bike on the dyno and post crappy results by not tuning the thing. I wouldnt think VH would let it happen.
:dunno: I would think you would still need to retune it.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Both pipes are made by the same company.:laugh:
Guess I should spend more time memorizing the names and brands of exhaust pipes for Harleys. Could do that instead of riding. NAH!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts