V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Bought my 08 RG Saturday. I was a little out of my comfort zone by the time they got me to the final guy (business manager). The one thing this guy does besides your paperwork is try to sell you extended warranty and their Priority Plus Maintenence plan. I passed on the extended warranty because I will invalidate major parts of it with performance mods soon enough. Since I was out of my comfort zone, I also passed on the PPM but when I got home and started reviewing the details, I had to rethink the decision.

Heres what it includes for 3 years
ALL regular services, 1000m, 2500m, 5000m, 7500m, 10,000m etc etc including ALL parts and labor including synthetic fluids(I got em to write the Synthetic in as a condition of sale, everything is negotiable!)

Free pickup and delivery! This was huge for me because I live 61 miles away but it's almost a two hour drive each way! This is limited to 50 mile radius, but again, negotiation. Made sure this was written in and initialed!

Guaranteed two day turn around for regular services. Again, everything is negotiable! I am realistic, I expect it to be 3 days actually, pick up day one, do work day2, deliver day 3...

If you are out of town (100 plus miles) at a service interval, go to any HD dealer and have work done, pay and be reimbursed or bill direct bill with dealer if they dealer will accept that from Latus

Emergency roadside service within 100 miles during store hours(store open 363 day a year!)

Free pick up and delivery for any warranty related issues

Tires, when tires reach 3/32nds at any service interval, they will be automatically replaced at no charge for parts and labor! I don't know about you, but I normaly run my tires way past 3/32nds before replacing. Includes aftermarket tires, pay only the difference in the stockers and tires of your choice. ( back to Avons for me!)

I ride at least 10,000 miles a year, that means minimum of 12 services including several majors, probably 3-4 rear and 2-3 front tires not counting the ones already on the bike.( I only get about 6k rear and 8-9K front out of Avons!)
All this is $1795 for the maint part and another $495 tires but wait, there's more! (like an infomercial, BUT WAIT! THERE"S MORE! lol)
The tire contract is for LIFE without additional charge if you renew the PPM including trade in! If you trade in, credit during first year is 2/3$ second year is 1/3$ but you don't have to rebuy the tire contract, it stays with you for as long as you have the PPM continuosly in force.
So, since I don't do most of my own work and since it is an 08 with a whole new set of paramenters and issues are bound to arise and even though I hate being tied to the dealer, this seems like a great deal to me. What do you think? I know this particular dealer has ton's of customers who ride a couple of thousand miles a year at most ad I'm sure the dealer makes out on this but for someone who rides, I figured it out, at dealer prices , by 10,000 miles (next summer), I'll be ahead of the game!

So, would you buy it? I have all this stuff in writing with a lot of added initialed notes on the contract. Anyone have any experience with this type contract? I assume many dealers are doing it.
The dealer is Latus Motors in Portland, OR. What are your experiences with them?

Yes, of course I went back and I bought it today, DUH!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
adlerx said:
Heres what it includes for 3 years
ALL regular services, 1000m, 2500m, 5000m, 7500m, 10,000m etc etc including ALL parts and labor including synthetic fluids(I got em to write the Synthetic in as a condition of sale, everything is negotiable!)
I own an 05 RKC and the service intervals are 1000m, 5000m, 10000m, 15000m etc. Did they change this for the 08s or is your dealer adding the extra intervals in on this contract?

To answer your question, no I didn't buy a service plan or extended warranty but that's because I do all my own maintenance. But, for someone that does lots of miles and doesn't prefer to do their own maintenance it looks like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RKRick said:
I own an 05 RKC and the service intervals are 1000m, 5000m, 10000m, 15000m etc. Did they change this for the 08s or is your dealer adding the extra intervals in on this contract?

To answer your question, no I didn't buy a service plan or extended warranty but that's because I do all my own maintenance. But, for someone that does lots of miles and doesn't prefer to do their own maintenance it looks like a good deal to me.
Rick, the service intervals (as far as I know) are every 2500, they are included. Talked to a guy in there getting his 2500 service on PPM. I hadn't heard that the service intervals had been extended..... I know on my 01, they were every 2500, even though many of them (2500's) were very minor consisting mostly of inspections, it's still scheduled maintenence. As far as I know, 5000 is in excess of $450 and 10000 is almost $700and the 2000 is even more and I will easily make 30,000 before 3 years is up. I got peace of mind if nothing else. Like I said, the Pick-up and delivery was what cinched it. My OL doesn't drive so, It's a big(HUGE) hassle for me to take my bike in and pick it up , It's an all day project each way(not to mention 16 gallons of gas for my truck for the two trips!) and that's trailering it!
Guess I should have pushed for loaner too.....

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by adlerx
the service intervals (as far as I know) are every 2500
There was a bulletin issued by H-D quite a while back that the service intervals have been extended to every 5,000 miles if you're running Syn3.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
MadCity said:
There was a bulletin issued by H-D quite a while back that the service intervals have been extended to every 5,000 miles if you're running Syn3.
Crankcase: 5,000
Transmission: 10,000
Primary: 20,000

I do all three every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The way I look at it......if this thing is being pushed by the dealer, then it's a good deal for them and a bad one for you. Plus the chances of the dealer actually completing all the work properly are slim to none.

·
In disguise
2,749 Posts
Not to sound cynical but Esterhaus brings up waht I can't help but think, myself.

All those promises sound great but the proof will be in living up to the promises. If you're comfortable and confident that your dealer will honor all that, for that length of time, then great.

And...if you're comfortable and confident that the dealer will perform all this service properly, using the proper parts and procedures, and the proper level of hands-on expertise, then great.

If you really do get all that for $2300 up front then OK, but I can't help but wonder what the performance incentive to the dealer is once they have your money. It all comes down to human integrity. Sometimes that can be hard to find, regardless of contracts and signatures.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
The dealer makes money on these programs because 9 out of 10 who buy the program only put 2000 miles per year. That said, I think you need 12000 miles per year to really come out ahead over an indy service or doing it your self. Don't think just because you see that sign that says, "10000 mile service for $695" that your contract is a good deal.

Bwana01

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bwana01 said:
The dealer makes money on these programs because 9 out of 10 who buy the program only put 2000 miles per year. That said, I think you need 12000 miles per year to really come out ahead over an indy service or doing it your self. Don't think just because you see that sign that says, "10000 mile service for $695" that your contract is a good deal.

Bwana01
I agree with you, and the others make good points as well. I condisered all of the above and more for 3 days before deciding to buy the PPM. The real thing that sold it for me was the pick up and delivery. I don't really have a way to get my bike back and forth short of riding there and waiting while they complete the service and I'm just not wired right for that. It would be the better part of two days and at least $50-$60 in fuel just for me to trailer the bike there and back, you have no idea how big of a problem that is for ME. If I lived a half hour from the dealer, I would not have bought it. I would have continued to have all my service done by my indy who is faster way cheaper and competent to my liking and I would have come out ahead. Another thing I considered was the fact that I could roll this into my loan. I am retired on a fixed income so coming up with 3-500 for those big services is difficult for me and as a result, some of my major scheduled maintnence services have been skipped in the past. This way it gets done for sure.
That's my -2$en#e- on the overall deal

·
In disguise
2,749 Posts
adlerx said:
The real thing that sold it for me was the pick up and delivery.

I understand. The pick-up and delivery part is the one thing in your story that I kept thinking about as well. I'm with you--that would be huge for me as well. But it's also the thing I wonder about the most, with my local dealer anyway. Nowhere near as far away but I still can't see them doing that--not without a charge and even then, only at their convenience, which would be rare.

With your distance factor, I can easily see where that would be a big factor. Let's hope that they are sincere in their promises.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The pick up thing has gotten my attention. You trust some "dealer individual" to pick up your bike, then take it to get serviced, then return it to your home? How many scratches and dings do you think will occur over say.....four or five services? Something to think about, that's all.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by Krayven Sumhead
Crankcase: 5,000
Transmission: 10,000
Primary: 20,000
Actually, I just looked at the bulletin, and it says for Big Twins: crankcase, 5,000; primary, 10,000; tranny, 20,000. For Sportsters, crankcase, 5,000; primary/tranny, 10,000. But it also says you should change out everything before winter storage. I always change my crankcase oil before winter storage but not necessarily the primary/tranny.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just thought of one other HUGE thing! Every time my bike is there for service, they detail it! That's a detail job 4-5 times a season!! My only responsibilities now are make the payment, schedule the services when due and RIDE, RIDE, RIDE!!! I can really live with this! I may get away with only having to give one or two baths a year myself at most and I ride in rain, you know what a mess that is.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Adlerx,

I got my first ppm from Latus on my 03 ultra(in 03duh) and reupped it after the first 3 years were up. When I traded that bike last Jan, I got prorated return of time left on that contract and got a new contract on my roadglide. My tire deal isn't as good as yours- they started that after I bought mine! I have had a couple of services done on trips and Latus cut me a check while I waited. Something I feel is worth it if you have a dealer do services, and actually put on some miles. I did the math also and came out way ahead doing it this way. They have given me a loaner a couple of times also. Give them notice for the pick up, but they have helped friends out big time a couple of times in emergencies with transport.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
If you're financing this, don't forget to add the interest you will be paying for the length of the loan.

$2300 at (lets say) 6% interest over 5 years= $2667.88.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
MY brother had this on my 04 RK and they honored it wonderfully in Fort Myers. Picked up and delivered, and even did the 15k for me after he died and I went in.
My only loss was I could not use the remaining portion since I brought the bike back to Ohio, but they told me as long as I signed off on it, I sodl it to his buddy he rode with. They have still honored it for him since.
I think it is a good plan

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
geezerglide said:
Hey Adlerx,

I got my first ppm from Latus on my 03 ultra(in 03duh) and reupped it after the first 3 years were up. When I traded that bike last Jan, I got prorated return of time left on that contract and got a new contract on my roadglide. My tire deal isn't as good as yours- they started that after I bought mine! I have had a couple of services done on trips and Latus cut me a check while I waited. Something I feel is worth it if you have a dealer do services, and actually put on some miles. I did the math also and came out way ahead doing it this way. They have given me a loaner a couple of times also. Give them notice for the pick up, but they have helped friends out big time a couple of times in emergencies with transport.
Thanks for the reassurance Geeze! Nice to hear from someone who has such a positive experience that they re-upped. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them and from what I have heard, they are known to be very competent. Obviously you are happy with them.
I do normally put on about 12,000 miles a year (less this year...) so I am sure it will work out for me. I am starting to get really anxious, with the weather getting ready to turn and wanting to get some miles on before nice weather riding opportunities turn into wet riding opportunities. Do you do any performance mods to your bikes? How do they react too that? Thanks.....

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bobros said:
If you're financing this, don't forget to add the interest you will be paying for the length of the loan.

$2300 at (lets say) 6% interest over 5 years= $2667.88.
Yeah, my economics are probably a little different than yours, but I do realize this..... (I am POOR)
If I had the $$ to write a check, I would have made a quicker decision to do this....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts