V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I purchased an after-market front fender from HD for my Dyna. The fender is plastic, ( or as HD says "a composite"...?) which was supposed to be primed and ready for paint. This thing looks to be bare plastic with no hint of primer on it. I've been told that some plastics do not require a primer and that you can go ahead and shoot it with a ureathane paint as long as the surface is scuffed up a little. Also heard that a watery type primer is used in painting plastic. Anyone got any insight on this?

·
drinker of fine ales
273 Posts
60 Grit said:
I've been told that some plastics do not require a primer and that you can go ahead and shoot it with a ureathane paint as long as the surface is scuffed up a little.
Whoever said that is a jackass

PPG and Nexa/ Autocolor both make a plastic prep system, kinda pricey but how many times do you want to redo it? Go by the book on painting plastic.

one caveat, I have heard that bulldog adhesion promoter works well but have never used it. I prefer to stick with "systems" just in case I ever have a warranty issue and can then go back to my jobber for compensation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts