V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,066 Posts
I use nord lock washers there and other places on the bike. Haven't seen one come loose yet.
Not acceptable for the bolts on the shoe. Those bolts are just snug, not tight enough for a lock washer to hold properly Thats why they use a tab. You could also drill and wire them if you were in a hurry and didn't have a tab.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
well you did ask a question with a pic which clearly shows it would only work one way. It sounds like you need the parts manual too.
As I stated in the beginning I have a service manual, and it doesn't show a clear picture. And the pic I attached does not show that it will only work one way. Did you read the whole post? And if I can't ask a question, then why is this site in existence? I did get help from those willing, and appreciate it. But time and again racepres, makes some smart a$$ comment that does nothing to solve a problem in the short term, like absence of a book.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
What year FXR as you can get for free now.................
Where?
I downloaded all of the microfiches I could from Ronnies. Has all of the pics and most of the part numbers, except the important ones that's obsolete.

·
FOAD
260 Posts
Box -This is the 91-92 Wiring Diagrams and Troubleshooting All Models
Box - This is the 91-92 FXR Parts Manual
Box - This the 91-92 FXRP Parts Supplement

That should keep you out of trouble.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Alan, I have a '90 too and ended up getting the service and parts manual because of the gap in available years online.
I found them on CL for for $30 apiece. If you need a specific schematic, let me know and I'll take a pic of that page for you.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
Thanks. I have the service manual. Like I said I downloaded everything Ronnie's had, and that's been sufficient...so far.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a service manual but it doesn't show a close up photo. The 2 1/4' bolts that hold the nylon shoe have flat washers, not sure if they go behind the lock tab like I have installed (photo attached) or in between the plate and the shoe, or on the backside of the shoe. Also do I have the shoe oriented correct, narrow end of it facing the front of the primary case? View attachment 264718 I've had a M6 in it for a couple years, and forgot how the OE goes. CRS, it ain't fun getting old.
Yes its facing correctly. Insure during installation you clean the **** out of the inside of the screw holes. A Tap to get and red locktite off threads then spray the break clean into inside threads wash out and to remove any residual primary oil. Ive had threads back out before because the of oil diminishing the lock factor. As far as the tabs go ensure the are flat against face bolts. Ive even tapped lightly on base of tab to get as much as you can get lock to get the tab to lock. I had OEM that sprung to tight. Then I got an M6 it is a good product but I felt I lost a bit of throttle response but it could of been my imagination. Then tried Bakers Attitude Adjust but it broke. Baker was really good about getting a new one but I sold that and now I'm running SE Manual adjuster and have had great results. The only downside is my bike is 08 and have to pull primary cover to check adjuster is working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where?
I downloaded all of the microfiches I could from Ronnies. Has all of the pics and most of the part numbers, except the important ones that's obsolete.
I've seen parts and service manuals online for download. Trying to all of Ronnies seems like a lot of time

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
smitfits598, I have used M6's in 3 different bikes before this one, starting back in the 1990's..Put a lot of trouble free miles with them. This one I've had trouble with. The shoe broke within a few thousand miles, and that likely caused the springs to disfigure. I think springs and shoe material have changed over the years, Hayden says no. The HD shoe is 28 years old and looks new, so I'll run the OE set up. Sorry the Baker didn't hold for you, have heard others say the same as you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a service manual but it doesn't show a close up photo. The 2 1/4' bolts that hold the nylon shoe have flat washers, not sure if they go behind the lock tab like I have installed (photo attached) or in between the plate and the shoe, or on the backside of the shoe. Also do I have the shoe oriented correct, narrow end of it facing the front of the primary case? View attachment 264718 I've had a M6 in it for a couple years, and forgot how the OE goes. CRS, it ain't fun getting old.
My manual says Be sure that flat washers are on the inboard side of the lockplate.
Looks like you have it right.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts