V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Road King has 114,000 miles. The motor sprocket (original compensator) is worn out. The chain teeth, I'm talking about; the compensator itself has never given me a bit of trouble. Clutch basket sprocket teeth look a little long in the tooth, so to speak, as well.

That said, the current motor (which has about 30k on it) is a 120/120 all bore 107. I will likely build a 124 in the next year or two.

I intend to replace the motor sprocket with a solid version either from Evolution Industries or Vulcan. Any recommendations one way or the other?

I'm thinking about replacing the clutch basket also. This presents a number of questions I for which don't have the answers:

Is the stock clutch basket strong enough to reliably handle a 124?

Is the Evolution Industries version stronger?

Other options?

Ring gear: I don't know what the stock ring gear tooth count is; Evo offers 66T; 84T; and 102T; each with the appropriate pinion. The 84T is billed as the "Easystart". I assume that the 102 would be easier yet on the starter. I do have compression releases (manual) at 200 psi cold cranking compression. The planned 124 would have the same or similar ccp.

I'd like to hear thoughts and experience regarding all the above. I don't want to spend a ton of $$ for no reason; but if there's a real strength/reliability need or benefit, it's definitely justified.

Other things possibly relevant:

I've been planning to replace my (original) stock 5-speed with a Baker OD6 for a long time (I tour with this bike as well as hot rod around locally). However, a recent (last week) 2,000 mile trip made me realize that I really only need a 200rpm reduction at hiway speed (80-ish) to keep the gas mileage above 40. So I'm seriously considering going to a 34 tooth transmission final drive pulley, which will get me that or a little more. So I will be sticking with the stock primary gearing (25T motor sprocket/36T clutch basket sprocket) as opposed to the popular 24/37 change. The down sides to the 34T final pulley are the taller effective 1st gear ratio; but the Baker OD6 has a taller 1st gear anyway... Not sure if they're equivalent or not.

Anyway, let's hear it...

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
The baskets is usually what breaks with big power, so if I was replacing it, I would look at aftermarket baskets.

The 8x tooth count is the go to for hard starting setups. The 102's have issues with shedding teeth. I run 84 on my FXR, and it helped a lot with hard starting.

I would look at altering the drive ratio in the primary, with the parts you're already replacing, as opposed to spending more money on other parts. And for just 200 rpm and a little gas, I would just come to my senses and move on. Nothing close to any bang for the buck there.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I already have the 34 tooth sprocket sitting on the shelf. So that doesn't cost me any more money at all. And I lnow it sounds like a miniscule concern. But with a 5 gallon tank that actually runs out of gas at 4.6 gallons, a few mpg on the highway makes a difference.

Of course, if that was my primary concern I wouldn't have built a hot rod 107 - and wouldn't have a 124 in the planning stage. But I want my cake and eat it too... 😁

Thx for the input. Any advice on a quality aftermarket clutch basket? I'm hoping to stay with stock replacement so I can keep my Bandit Sportsman clutch.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is pretty old at this point, but I never updated it. I decided to go with Evolution Industries basket and sprocket. Also sourced the chain from there. The basket is a 1 piece design, all aluminum and much beefier than stock, but still accepts the stock replacement style clutch. My only concern is the aluminum chain sprocket. I decided to go for it because the 1 piece design appealed to me. My stock clutch basket's rivets were so loose that the sprocket moved quite a bit on the basket. Just a matter of time before the rivets failed completely. Hopefully, the aluminum sprocket holds up.

I don't have enough miles on it to have any kind of report other than absolutely zero effect on ride smoothness with the solid motor sprocket.

Regarding the final gearing and OD trans, I'm installing an Ultima 6 speed gearset with Baker shift drum, forks and pawl. That's another story and another thread, which is ongoing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts