V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new chrome primary off Ebay, it was listed as new, "flawlessly" triple chromed. I got the piece today and I noticed that around the bolt holes the chroming didn't quite take and I can see a little bit of the yellow nickel plating, otherwise the part is beautiful. Is this normal or should I bitch?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Doesn't sound like an as advertised "flawless" part. I would return it. More of the chrome could start to flake off.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Yup i agree. Sometimes with chipping chrome it can be like a plague thats keeps on spreading. I would call the supplier up and see what they say.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Shaw_2112 said:
I bought a new chrome primary off Ebay, it was listed as new, "flawlessly" triple chromed. I got the piece today and I noticed that around the bolt holes the chroming didn't quite take and I can see a little bit of the yellow nickel plating, otherwise the part is beautiful. Is this normal or should I bitch?

It doesn't sound good since it sounds like they overbuffed that area into the nickel and are selling seconds as firsts. I'd go for a refund.

In general, the only chrome primary covers that I have seen that are much good are the genuine ones from HD. Even though they may be made in China, the quality is good and you could beef to the dealer if the chrome isn't perfect. Yes, I know they are $$$$$$$.

Another issue is that many of the cheap aftermarket primaries aren't even real aluminum alloy. Some of then are die cast from a material that is part zinc and part scrap Japanese Zero crankcase.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
newultraclassic said:
It doesn't sound good since it sounds like they overbuffed that area into the nickel and are selling seconds as firsts. I'd go for a refund.

In general, the only chrome primary covers that I have seen that are much good are the genuine ones from HD. Even though they may be made in China, the quality is good and you could beef to the dealer if the chrome isn't perfect. Yes, I know they are $$$$$$$.

Another issue is that many of the cheap aftermarket primaries aren't even real aluminum alloy. Some of then are die cast from a material that is part zinc and part scrap Japanese Zero crankcase.

Good luck.
that might explain why most hd's have zero ground clearance:whistle:

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Shaw_2112 said:
I shop Ebay myself but you take your chances on some of this stuff. I got some beautiful Custom Chrome switch covers off Ebay for less than half what HD charges and i think they look better. Then i've gotten other stuff that looked cheap as hell. Whenever i'm looking at critical parts, such as a primary cover, i tend to go with HD (or other trusted source) so i know i'm getting good quality. Another problem with those cheap aftermarket primarys is they tend to leak.

·
Registered
297 Posts
newultraclassic said:

Good luck.
Jeeze, and I thought that most of those Zeros got splashed.....Bill

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Okay, hold on a second. Take a look at any chrome cover on your current Harley, i.e. the Cam Cover, Primary, Tranny End Cover, Top Cover, Etc except for the rocker boxes and you'll notice the same thing in the bolt holes. The chrome isn't perfect even on the stock pieces. The reason it is that way is because the chrome inherently has a hard time bonding in those nooks and crannies like that and then when they buff the pieces they don't spend extra time there because they know a bolt will be going there. As for chipping or peeling, that isn't going to happen unless there is a definite ridge but ultimately it's your call. Just do some reasearch on the chroming process before you decide.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The best chrome jobs are usually from a chromer, like Brown's, but not cheap.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
if it's got a yellow tint around the holes it's probally from hanging it on the rack that is used to plate it. the chrome doesn't stick where the racks are. it's actually a shadow.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well if it is a HD part then they have very weird ideas on what flawless means. All in all it means that there will be some minor issues and that is "normal" per hd

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sr1032 said:
Okay, hold on a second. Take a look at any chrome cover on your current Harley, i.e. the Cam Cover, Primary, Tranny End Cover, Top Cover, Etc except for the rocker boxes and you'll notice the same thing in the bolt holes. The chrome isn't perfect even on the stock pieces. The reason it is that way is because the chrome inherently has a hard time bonding in those nooks and crannies like that and then when they buff the pieces they don't spend extra time there because they know a bolt will be going there. As for chipping or peeling, that isn't going to happen unless there is a definite ridge but ultimately it's your call. Just do some reasearch on the chroming process before you decide.
Since it's basically a stock Standard there isn't anything to compare it too, but this is what I was wanting to know. I contacted the seller and he's going to exchange the part anyway. I could see a few small spots where there was a noticeable ridge that might have been a cause for concern in the long run. If this isn't unusual then I'll know what to do if it happens again in the future. I hate sounding like a whiner but I wanted to be sure I got what I payed for. BTW, I bought the piece from Rob's Cycle Supply on Ebay, very easy guy to deal with, very fast shipping, I highly recommend him. I bought an inspection plate from him too that is perfect....

·
Registered
108 Posts
@gree: I have also bought from Ron's in the past, no problems. I bought the chrome engine kit from HD earlier this winter, didn't see any thin or yellow spots. For the price I would highly recommend the kit, you can pick one up for around $580 on Ebay.

·
Banned
873 Posts
miles to go said:
Whenever i'm looking at critical parts, such as a primary cover, i tend to go with HD...so i know i'm getting good quality.
Well that's a whole other argument :D

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, got my replacement cover today, and it was better but still not perfect, but that's OK. While I was at my local dealership today I decided to take a real close look at their bikes and damn if they didn't have similar flaws! I'm guessing it's like someone mentioned earlier, they just got lazy when they were polishing it and didn't get real good in those hard to reach recesses. It ain't a damn show bike anyway so I installed it and it looks damn good, I'm happy..:chopper:

P.S so much for "HD Quality"

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you. Should post a pic for everyone to see.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sr1032 said:
I'm glad it worked out for you. Should post a pic for everyone to see.
Here it is...

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Looks good man, hopefully worth the wait for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts