V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MoCo says replace everytime the cover is removed...I just replaced this sucker and realized I forgot to tend to some business in there...bike hasn't even come off the lift. Does a single make and break render this gasket ineffective?

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
bman001 said:
MoCo says replace everytime the cover is removed...I just replaced this sucker and realized I forgot to tend to some business in there...bike hasn't even come off the lift. Does a single make and break render this gasket ineffective?
I've had the cover off my 03 Heritage three times and have yet to replace the gasket. Still no leaks. I think it's more important to tighten the bolts in the correct order and torque properly.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I've reused mine before and not replaced it. just wipe if off and put it back together you'll be fine. I normally do change it when changing primary oil but have as mentioned reused it once.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I have used mine over many times. Inspect, clean and reuse. It isn't going to gush anyway, and if it leaks you can get a new one easy enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
0ne more gasket Q

thanks for the tips...in the same vein, how about the air filter gaskets? Manual says replace those everytime you take it off too...maybe this might affect the performance of the scooter so reuse or trash? If you reuse, what are the signs the gaskets aren't being effective? I've got a Screamin' Eagle conical jobby on there, gaskets on both ends of the filter.

Thanks...b

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Buy one of each gasket and put it in the garage, shop, whatever. If you tear one replace it. If not, you are ready for next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts