V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help please! Not sure why I remember this but I seem to remember that the screws that hold the inspection cover on is often a problem. Something about most people using a T-25 and it should be a T-27 which is not normally in most Torx sets.
I'm I right or I'm I dreaming this?

I completed the oil change and Trany without incident!!!!! Just don't want any problems with the last step in the fluid changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to NAPA and bought a couple t-27 "tamperproof" torx bits and fitted fine...about $2.80 for a 2 pack. I may be wrong but Harley uses the "tamperproof" torx which is a different head than the standard. Sears sells both regular torx and "tamperproof" torx also.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
The regular T-27 will work fine. I think the tamper proof has a hole in the center so the coresponding bolt head would have a little "piller" in the center. Either bit will work though.

·
just one more please
65 Posts
harley uses a "torx plus." this is a different bit than the "torx." i too learned the hard way and found out about the torx plus from the dealer. search torx plus and read the previous post. in short, the "torx" is a tapered bit, where as the torx plus is not. the problem with rounding out the bolt head using the torx is because of a poor fit. the torx plus eliminates that. good luck.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I just looked at the Torx Plus at:
http://www.textronfasteningsystems.com/products/torxplus/drive_compare.htm#compare

My manual specifies Torx, not plus, and I just looked at some (not all) of the screws on my bike. They had the 15 degree drive angle of the Torx, not the 0 degree drive angle of the Torx Plus.
Wouldn't the Plus bits bugger up the chrome inside the heads at the edges?
Rust is the enemy...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts