V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a hardtail with a 90 Evo engine as the power plant. The frame is set up for a wide rear wheel and the trans is offset 1/2 in to accommodate it requiring a spacer between the engine and inner primary.
I've installed a half inch spacer, a half inch over compensator shaft extension and a half over nut. The issue I'm having is that it's about an eighth inch out of alignment with the clutch basket sprocket and this without a washer between the rotor and shaft extension. (I'm 1/8 too long)
How do I reduce the length 1/8? Do I machine the lip on the rotor, shave off the extension, shim out the clutch basket, I'm open to suggestions. I really don't want to reduce the splines on the extension by shaving it because there's only about an inch of spline showing out from the rotor. I'll try to send a pic here and appreciate you guys.
Automotive tire Light Tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up Terry, since I'm about an eighth long without shims I'll shave it off the extension and shim out from there.
I have a new 21 tooth compensator sprocket I'm pondering over using. Has anyone tried this setup? I believe it will take a shorter primary chain so there won't be a big loop at the adjuster ( availability ?) Torque would be phenomenal, the bike lives in the mountains. I'm running a rear chain and trans sprocket is 22 tooth. I'm thinking about like a 47 tooth rear sprocket to keep the rpm at Bay, any input on this? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the 90 had a different shaft but the sprocket on the clutch basket lines up with the chain adjuster and will hit the rear of the primary case if it goes any closer. More research

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know,. Even though the 90 main shaft is an oddball it's internal where the difference is. The clutch basket should fit 90 to 99 transmissions, mine is mid 90s and everything lines up fine, I will use the 90 jackshaft however.

·
Registered
612 Posts
How does the starter jackshaft look in relation to the ring gear, does the air gap look right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts