V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my primary oil over the weekend and noticed that the dealer had put a little of some sort of sealant on the primary drain plug. I have some Form-a-Gasket pliable sealant. Would this be OK to use?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I use a drop of liquid teflon. Auto parts stores have it.
You may be able to go without anything and not have any leaks.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
Depending on the model there's little to no pressure in there, or even vacuum.

I can't see why you would need any kind of sealant on the drain plug.

·
Banned
41 Posts
my .02; HD still uses pipe thread on this plug. pipe threads will let liquid flow in the root of the thread and it will eventually seap out. i use teflon tape. start it about two threads back from the starter thread. be careful when tightening up this plug. HD gives a distance measurement, not a torque value. if you tighten too much, the plug will act like a wedge and put stress on the primary cover and engine housing.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I posted a question a few months ago about stripping the threads out on the plug.......I did and many others have also.....Everyone says no big deal and so far the taflon tape works with no leaks, however the plug doesn't tighten up!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I use a locktite with teflon, one that does not dry. Not the same # as recommended. Like dope. Never leaks. One thing I have learned is that it is not good to let these bolts sit to long.

Manual recommends a type of locktite with teflon. Pretty sure mine has torque value too. Don't remember anything about depth.

·
Registered
221 Posts
How about Teflon tape or the hell with it just search the couch cushions :sofa: for $3 and buy a new one that has sealant on it.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
The manual does give a torque value, read carefully, gives it in inch lbs. nor foot lbs! As I said before, many others have made the same mistake. If it does happen, the plug simply never draws tight.

·
IronButt
91 Posts
I use Loctite thread sealant (white) and it seems to work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts