V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently checked my crankcase oil with the bike standing straight up I couldn't see any oil in the Primary crankcase. I had the clutch cover off when looking for the oil level. So naturally I wanted to bring it up to normal according to the manual. I poured in 28 oz. of oil. According to my owners manual the capacity is 26 oz. This would seem to indicate my Primary Crankcase was empty, whats up????????:D

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hippo, Are your absolutely sure that crankcase would hold twice the required amount of oil recommended in the ownes manual. I would think that it would be running out on the ground if I put 54 oz. in it. By the way, the Derby cover you are refering to is the same as the clutch inspection cover isn't it? Thanks

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Straydog, That's what I was afraid of. I put 28 ounces in the Crankcase. It was only after adding this amount of oil that I could see it at the bottom of the clutch. I think someone forgot to add oil at the factory and the bike was shipped to the dealer who also failed to inspect or check the oil level. I road the bike for two weeks (500 miles) before I added this oil so I might have been riding without any oil in the Primary for those 500 miles. To my way of thinking, if it was at the proper level when I picked the bike up and I added an additional 28 ounces it would have been running out of the Clutch cover or have submerged a good portion of the clutch.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just want to thank everyone for their reply's. Hippo was right on the mark. I had overfilled it according to the dealer. They pulled the crankcase and found "NO" damage and measured the oil coming out at 54 ounces which would mean I put to much in there. Thanks again for all your reply's. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.