V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently checked my crankcase oil with the bike standing straight up I couldn't see any oil in the Primary crankcase. I had the clutch cover off when looking for the oil level. So naturally I wanted to bring it up to normal according to the manual. I poured in 28 oz. of oil. According to my owners manual the capacity is 26 oz. This would seem to indicate my Primary Crankcase was empty, whats up????????:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
People do this all the time. It likely is way overfilled now. The oil level in the primary is the bottom edge of the clutch diaphragm spring behind the derby cover with the bike level.

If you want to fill by volume instead of checking the level you have to drain the sumbit(h first.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hippo, Are your absolutely sure that crankcase would hold twice the required amount of oil recommended in the ownes manual. I would think that it would be running out on the ground if I put 54 oz. in it. By the way, the Derby cover you are refering to is the same as the clutch inspection cover isn't it? Thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tommy said:
Hippo, Are your absolutely sure . . . :eek:
Like Hippo said, "The oil level in the primary is the bottom edge of the clutch diaphragm spring". It is difficult to tell when you've added enough oil to reach to the diaphragm spring, so watch it closely. If the primary is empty, then it will take the entire container of oil.

The Derby cover is the same as the clutch inspection cover.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Straydog, That's what I was afraid of. I put 28 ounces in the Crankcase. It was only after adding this amount of oil that I could see it at the bottom of the clutch. I think someone forgot to add oil at the factory and the bike was shipped to the dealer who also failed to inspect or check the oil level. I road the bike for two weeks (500 miles) before I added this oil so I might have been riding without any oil in the Primary for those 500 miles. To my way of thinking, if it was at the proper level when I picked the bike up and I added an additional 28 ounces it would have been running out of the Clutch cover or have submerged a good portion of the clutch.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tommy, just an fyi . . . Hippo is "The Man". He is by far, IMO, the #1 source for technical info on this forum.

As for my qualifications, if someone told me to fill it up until it reached the diaphragm :eek: , I'd have to ask for clarification!:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just want to thank everyone for their reply's. Hippo was right on the mark. I had overfilled it according to the dealer. They pulled the crankcase and found "NO" damage and measured the oil coming out at 54 ounces which would mean I put to much in there. Thanks again for all your reply's. :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Tommy, pop that baby open one mo' time, take a flashlight if necessary and get a good look at where the oil level is at NOW. Should be right where Hippo said. That way you will have an idea of what to look for next time.
twincamzz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts